Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Alot of hunting pressure & Ground blinds? >

Alot of hunting pressure & Ground blinds?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Alot of hunting pressure & Ground blinds?

Old 05-24-2006, 10:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default Alot of hunting pressure & Ground blinds?

I'm thinking about using a ground blind for this year deer hunt. This place I'm huntingis heavily hunted but there are lots of tracks going in and out of it. Ithas no trees big enough for a treestand, so I'm gonna have to go with a ground blind. My question is, is it worth it to hunt there with a ground blind or should I just pass it because of the hunting pressure?
Old 05-24-2006, 10:48 AM

Default RE: Alot of hunting pressure & Ground blinds?

hunt hunt hunt but don't over do it ground blinds are great tools
Old 05-24-2006, 01:26 PM
Banned

All the hunting pressure may push a deer to you or it could make all the deer nocturnal; give it a try you will never know till you try.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:11 PM

No one on here can tell you NOT to hunt it. You have to find out for yourself. I hunt alot of public land. Yes, it is better during bow season and not so much during rifle. Do your homework and get that brute!
Old 05-24-2006, 02:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hunt it ,but get in before anyone else.Say like 4 am on stand.thats what I do. weather permitting I sleep in the blind over night
Old 05-24-2006, 02:49 PM

Definitely hunt the area. However, don't just pattern the deer, pattern the hunters too. Most hunters are lazy and noisy. They will only go to the easy spots. Figure those out and then figure out the escape lanes that the deer will use when other hunters blunder in.Try to set up where you will have legal shooting light to take them. It doesn't do any good to hear the whole herd going by an hour before shooting light.

In this situation feeding and bedding locations are less important than the escape routes. Don't overlook them because they will have some influence on where the deer go. But the key is where they go when they need cover to get away from Mr Noisy.

One thing that I do is to brush in my ground blind to break up the lines a little.Try to set it backinto the brush. Deer know their home turf pretty well and that big new lump will arouse suspicion. If they come up on it suddenly, they will usually bolt and you don't get a shot. But if they can see it from a distance, the will often become curious about it. My first ground blind buck was shot at 5 yards. The only reason that it was that far was because I got too nervous to wait any longer. I think he was planning to stick his nose into the blind.

Don't give up on tree stands, but the ground blind is a great tool in some situations.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:24 PM

I hunt strictly from the ground. My leg dosen't let me get up into trees. Natural cover is best. fill in the open spots with brush or camo material remember on the ground movement will get you busted in a heart beat. Play the wind it's your best friend.The good thing about a ground blind like an ameristp blind is you can get away with a little more movement. Where there's a will there's away. Don't be afraid to get out and give it your best shot. One thing for sure, you'll never bag the big one on the couch.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

As long as you set up the ground blind with every precaution in mind then I do not think you will run into any more problems than when using a treestand.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cardeer
weather permitting I sleep in the blind over night
Sweet! I like it.