Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 BEST cure for TARGET PANIC?? >

BEST cure for TARGET PANIC??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

BEST cure for TARGET PANIC??

Old 05-24-2006, 06:01 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: BEST cure for TARGET PANIC??

quit shooting for a little while, it helped me.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:35 PM
Fork Horn

You'll never cure your target panic by putting your bow away for any length of time. Target panic is like herpes, it may go away for awhile but it always comes back! That is unless you can master the art of the surprise release. Alot of good advice already so I'll just add that I cured mine with a caliper release with a spring for a trigger. I would just keep aiming and slowly pulling the spring until the bow went off. Over the years I've incorporated back tension into the release. Bottom line is, never punch the trigger. Your conscious mindcan't aim and tell yourself to shoot at the same time, so the release has to become unconsious (automatic), and all your conscious mind has to do is aim.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I quit shooting but only for a couple of hour or a dayor two, the I try again. Ask yourself, is it fatigue? If you find yourself getting more off-target after 30-40 shots your arm and shoulder are tired! Sometimes instead of shooting close I'll shoot farther. If I'm shooting at 20 and get the jitters, I'll go out to 30 or 40 and force myself to concentrate on a smaller target, the go back to 20, works for me!
Old 05-25-2006, 10:49 AM

I have been a voyer for quite a while and posted under another screen name in the past but now I'll jump back into the game.

I cured my target panic by shooting close with my eyes shut as has been said. I also shot at night, in the dark at a candle flame. For some reason, the focus needed to try to hit the flame without the benefits of my pins really helped me. I also agree with experience helping. My panic was ony on animals and the more I killed, the less I paniced. Taking time off only made my panic worse. I put more pressure on myself each shot.

Greg
Old 05-26-2006, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try This - Practice with a partner. Have him stand behind you.
You will draw and aim on the target, focussing on the exact spot you want to hit, but KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER.
Have your partner trigger your release when he feels you are comfortable.

This will force you to concentrate only on the target.
This will also totally eliminate you flinching or jumping upon release - in other words it should surprise you - not be anticipated.

If you are still having trouble hitting your target then most likely it is your setup or form, not your brain.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:19 AM

My advice is just go to full draw on a target and don't release the string but let down. Practise holding and concentrating your focus on the target at full draw then count up to what ever number until you have to let down from fatigue. See if you can increase your count by increasing your holding time while you're concentrate on your target. Let done and wait and breathe deep all the while don't stare atyour target. Do this several times before releasing an arrow. Then practise squeezing the trigger at full draw up close like five feet with your eyes closed to get the feel of that type of release in your mind. Maybe do this exercise five times before you get back to shooting regularly. Target panic comes and goes with most of us but changing up your routine and your focus does help.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:38 PM
Dominant Buck

There is only ONE cure, and that's blind bale shooting. THe quick fixes are just that, quick and temporary. Some of what others have said is a part of true blind bale shooting, like letting down if the shot doesn't happen within 7 or 8 seconds. Blind bale shooting should be a part of everyones practice routine if they want to really become rock solid. Depends on your drive to excell. Me, I'm on the down cycle and don't care if I win the nationals, but someone who wants to be the next champ will be doing it. Before you can use blind bale shooting you have to have one thing correct, a bow with the right draw length. If it's not, forget it..... you'll fail.