Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

target panic

Old 04-27-2005, 07:40 PM

Default target panic

i have been bowhunting for a few years, and i have seem to have recently developed target panic. BAD! has anyone had this problem and overcame it? what worked for you?
Old 04-27-2005, 08:12 PM

Default RE: target panic

first off let me say welcome to the board. From what I hear Target Panic is a hard demon to over come. Its one thing I am glad I don't have to deal with, anyways here is a link to a few steps you could try out. Good luck.

http://www.skookumarchers.com/Archer...et%20Panic.htm
Old 04-27-2005, 08:19 PM

You gotta go back to the basics and not worry about aiming. Many, many shots into a blank bale emphasising a nice steady release might be necesarry. I had a semi case of target panic and switched to a back tension release and have greatly improved my accuracy and comfortableness (Word?) with shooting agin.

Good luck.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:52 PM

sorry to hear it. I've had a significant case for probably 8 years now. The only thing that worked good for me was to use a release made by Golden Key called "the answer". If you punch the trigger it locks up and won't release. You can adjust how sensitive it is and disengage it all together for hunting. Worked good for me. Hope you find a solution. Stick with it.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:19 PM
Dominant Buck

First off, everyone has it but some over come it better then others. You said little info in your post as to when you have it but I will guess it was when you were hunting and the deer was in range.

First thing I do after I settle in a tree, I walk off in my mind my 10, 20, 30, and 40 yrd boundry. Next I think about where the deer will come from and how will I react. I look for the wholes in the woods where I might see them. I also listen the squirrels and birds to adjust my ears to the conditions for the day. This is important because everyday is different. The wind blows different, the ground maybe wetter making the wood quiet or for me the local car traffic is heavier. Bottom line is the woods are new each hunt.

The last thing I do is think about the shot itself. Walk it through your mind. Think about how you will breath as the deer is coming into range. If you been there before, you will swear the deer can here every breath. You know what, you maybe right. Your control of the breathing makes all the difference in the world. I fortunantly hunt where I get to see herds and passing up the small ones while controling my breathing helps a lot. Always think about the shot and how will you handle it.

If it makes any difference, after 20 years I still get excited when I see the deer. If I didn't, I will hang up my bow.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:04 PM

I simply would quit shooting for about a month. If I notice I'm getting it I just don't shoot for a couple of weeks. Kills it everytime. Everything else I have heard has been said.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:25 AM
Typical Buck

What are you shooting? How does the poundage feel? Why do you like your set up? If you can answer questions 2&3 with the poundage feels good and I like my bow because it fits me just right. We can solve your panic easy. Go to a target all by yourself, set up for a shot at 10yds. Pull back your bow, and breath out, don't hold your breath. Now bring your pin up from below the target, when the pin hits the bullseye, release. People try to hold the pin on the target for to long and flinch causing them to loose faith. We are going to bring back your faith in yourself. If your pins were set don't change anything, you will just mess with your own head. Remember pin to the bullseye and release. Believe!
Gselkhunter
Old 04-28-2005, 08:07 AM

whats target panic?
Old 04-28-2005, 08:08 AM

Nevermind, i went to that link and it told me.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:13 AM
Dominant Buck

Focuse on basics. And limit the practice. If you get of a few good shots and it starts setting in, put the bow up. If you try to shoot through it, you will only make it worse. Thats my 2 cents.

By the way, welcome to the board.

Quick Reply: target panic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.