Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

target panic

Old 07-03-2007, 12:08 PM

Default target panic

Any tips on curing target panic?[&o] when shooting at a deer it is alot worse, lol
Old 07-03-2007, 12:11 PM

Default RE: target panic

I used to battle it pretty bad. I tried a couple different releases and that took care of it for me.

I thumb trigger would help for a while. I really didnt want to mess with the whole backtension thing.

I think what was causing the most trouble for me was my index finger releases werent the right length. Once I got a smaller release it took care of itself.

rick
Old 07-03-2007, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Smash one of the fingers on your non-shooting hand.
Then you won't be thinking about target panic = problem solved.

Maybe you won't be able to type either.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Start by pulling your bow back with your finger behind the trigger and just hold the pin on the target...don't actually shoot the arrow. Do this about 20x and hold for 5-10 seconds each time. Do this for a couple days.

Then go to point blank range, and shoot blind. Pull back, get comfortable, close your eyes, picture yourself holding on a target, get a feel for the trigger and slowly squeeze it. The shot should surprise you. Do this 25-30x per night for a couple weeks.

Then repeat the same steps as above at point blank range, but keep your eyes open. Do this for a week.

Slowly work your way back. Remember to do the EXACT same thing everything. If your mind start wondering or if something don't feel right, let down, take a deep breath and try again.

The number one thing to remember is that it isn't going change over night. It is a long process. A long frustrating process, but you can over-come it. Just stick with it, feel comfortable, do the same thing over and over. Good luck
Old 07-03-2007, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Smash one of the fingers on your non-shooting hand.
Then you won't be thinking about target panic = problem solved.

Maybe you won't be able to type either.
The sad thing is that someone frustrated with target panic won't think this is very funny....but keep up the good work.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

One way is to draw your bow, hold on the target then let down. Don't shoot, no matter how bad you want to. Repeat several times. Your target panic won't go away immediately, but this approach does help. It kinda gets your mind to thinking that you are in control instead of the target.

Sometimes it also helps to just shoot one arrow, much like you would in the deer woods. One shot, one chance to get it right.

Ihope this helps a little.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:41 PM

[/align]pure back tension if it keeps getting worse but definitley try some blank bale shooting!good luck everyone has fought the devil![:@]
Old 07-03-2007, 10:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had it pretty bad once, so i started by practicing with a recurve and than i took the exact form and skils i used on the recurve with the compound and eventually i out grew it or overcame it.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:33 AM
Typical Buck

I have seen releases that are to long create target panic. If you shoot a standard index finger release. Don’t reach for the trigger and don’t use the tip of your finger!!! Use the 1st or 2nd joint.
If your release is not the problem then do what Zubba had suggested. This is good advice.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on the severity of your target panic.First realize it is a mental affliction not a physical one and that most archers at some point or another have had it come upon them.Do a google search on target panic,along with target panic type in the names of some of the better archery coaches,like Bernie Pellerite,Terry Wunderle,Randy Ulmer,Bob Raggsdale (I think that is the spelling).
If you do a search in these forums you will find a lot of great information as this is a common topic.Also at ArcheryTalk or Bowsite.
If you are still looking for more information PM me.
Target Panic almost had me give archery up.If I conquered it any body can!