Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Blind tips, strategies, and other info >

Blind tips, strategies, and other info

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Blind tips, strategies, and other info

Old 05-21-2006, 08:06 PM

Default Blind tips, strategies, and other info

I just was reading another thread, and figured that we could use a thread with different strategies that you have used with a ground blind.

It seems that more and more people are realizing the benefits of ground blinds, myself included. This thread could help those who are just getting into it to benefit from the knowledge of others.

So, try to be specific, and lets all share our knowledge
Old 05-22-2006, 12:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Blind tips, strategies, and other info

I have a Double Bull T5 gorund blind my wife got for me about 5 years ago.
I use it though out the season when I'm not in my treestand and work's real good for me.
When I set it up I clear the ground from leaves & twigs then cover it up real good to blend it in, make sure you stake it down in the dirt with tent stakes.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Personally, I prefer natural ground blinds. Although you can not move them, you can set them up in natural funnels and travel routes. Deer can get used to them all year long.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:40 PM
Banned

My favorite spot to put a ground blind is where deer are feeding during late muzzleloader season in my buddies hayfields. He has several big round bales that he leaves out for me and I put my Double Bull right next to one of them and I just look like part of the haybales. I put a lil'buddy heater in with us and we are warm and the deer don't seem to notice the blind. I bring a pair of shooting sticks for accurate shooting. I spray a little fox urine on the bale and I have never had a deer whif me yet. 90% of the time I am in a tree, but when it is real cold I like this method. I mainly use my blinds for turkey bowhunting.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last year I put a ground blind (Ameristep) right under my treestand which was along the edge of our rye field. I sure loved that thing on rainy days. Ground blinds are awesome for crappy weather (wind, rain, sleet, etc.) You can see alot of deer in bad weather but you have to be out there.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:16 PM

I hunted from a ground blind mainly to be a better judge of the size of the deer. I don't get the time in the woods to scout like I should and have taken some small deer because of that. I believe in both the elevated stand and ground blind but for me I think until I'm able to get out and scout to betterstand sites a blind is the smarter choice for me. I'm new to archery so as I looked at the 150lb hogs that were about 30yds away I was able to make a better choicefrom the ground by not shooting. To each their own. Scent control and site prep are the keys when hunting from the ground. A real good blind helps to. Spend the money and do ir right the first time. JMHO. Happy Hunting.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:47 PM
Dominant Buck

Just let your imagination run wild. Natural blinds are the greatest. I have successfully used ditches, creeks, a patch of golden rods on the edge of a field, all sorts of things. Like I say, let your imagination be your limit. One of the best blind I ever had was a big logging chopper. You know, the thing they run over an area to bust up the little junk left behind so they can replant pines in southern pine country. At the time I was in a club that leased 3,000 acres from Georgia Pacific. They logged one section, 640 acres one year and another section the next year. When they were running the chopper it was like a magnet. At the end of the day they just shut it off and left it where they finished. 20 or 30 minutes after they shut off all the deer came boiling out of the woods still standing to feed on all the fresh leaves and garbage knocked down to their level. It was amazing to watch. They literally ran into the clear cut to eat. Just climb up in the chopper seat and watch for them to show up. After the first couple weekends it was like a big fight to see who got the chopper that day. "It's nearer my stand... it's parked where my stand used to be etc etc etc" It was fun times. In those 2 years a lot of deer got shot off the seat of a big logging rig.