Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shoulder surgery ???? >

Shoulder surgery ????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shoulder surgery ????

Old 05-19-2006, 05:46 AM

Default RE: Shoulder surgery ????

Trembow-I've had both shoulders done,the right was done10 years ago.It was a direct result from years of intense softball.Full retator,bone spurs and a torn muscle.After six weeks or so,and some PT,it's been fine.
My left shoulder was done in Feb 04,full rotator,and I had a 2in.piece of bone removed that had grown where a chip had settled in.This one,I must admit,was more painful,and the recovery was longer.Thank God for RX's.
It was a little over six weeks before I started shooting again.But it was worth it,and I did'nt miss a beat for the 3-D or hunting season.
By the way,I'm 49 years old now,and those ten years between operations does make a difference.Good Luck...Bob
Old 05-19-2006, 09:40 AM

ORIGINAL: buck-i

one of the men i hunt with had this done shaved the end of the bone off it was causing an impingement??? he had both sides done about two years apart last year he missed deer season because of it had surgury about two weeks before the season started but now alls ok. so take it slow and never rush trying to draw your bow back.
i think it took himaboutthree months maybe it was longer just to break over 40 lbs.he didnt want to rush anything,one season isn't worth damaging your shoulder again.exercise that shoulder good luck.
This sounds exactly like what I am having, which I now know is called:

Shoulder Arthroscopic Decompression.

They do need to "peel back" what is called the CA ligament to do this, according to what I've read. My appoinment with the surgeon (my doctor) is on Monday.. I'll know more then.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:42 AM

ORIGINAL: trestand

Trembow-I've had both shoulders done,the right was done10 years ago.It was a direct result from years of intense softball.Full retator,bone spurs and a torn muscle.After six weeks or so,and some PT,it's been fine.
My left shoulder was done in Feb 04,full rotator,and I had a 2in.piece of bone removed that had grown where a chip had settled in.This one,I must admit,was more painful,and the recovery was longer.Thank God for RX's.
It was a little over six weeks before I started shooting again.But it was worth it,and I did'nt miss a beat for the 3-D or hunting season.
By the way,I'm 49 years old now,and those ten years between operations does make a difference.Good Luck...Bob
Six weeks!!?? I can only hope I'm shooting again that quick. That would be a godsend! Now you've got me all antsy to talk to the doc.

Thanks fellas for all the support!
Old 05-20-2006, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

The best advice I can offer is listen to your doctor and get yourself a comfortable recliner if you don't already have one!!!!!

I know a couple guys who had shoulder surgery more than once because they didn't take their doctors words of caution to heart.

I had shouldersurgery March 3rd. I had a tear in my rotator cuff and they had to reattach (whatever it's called) back to my shoulderwith a screw . He also cut out a bone spur when he was in there. It was all done arthroscopic but he did have to enter in five different locations.
The first couple weeks after surgery were pure hell. I swore I'd never have it done again if I ever hurt my rotator cuff again. Eight weeks later and I'm so glad I had it done.
I think the biggest difference in my surgery and the two guys I know who had bad experiences was listening to everything the doctor warned me about. I went to every physical therapy session that they reccomended. I did every excercise at home that was reccomended. I feel great right now but the doc told me to take it easy at least until August so I don't intend to even try shooting my bow until then. I threw away my crossbow application permit a couple weeks ago.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hope everything goes good for you
Old 05-20-2006, 07:41 AM

trembow,They had me in PT two days after surgery..Bob
Old 05-20-2006, 03:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wow, what an interesting thread.

Hope everything works out for ya Trembow; I'm looking forward to hearing about you chasing some big bucks this fall!