Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shoulder surgery ???? >

Shoulder surgery ????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shoulder surgery ????

Old 05-16-2006, 08:04 AM

Default Shoulder surgery ????

Anyone here ever have an impinged rotator cuff? I have some extra bone that's to be removed from the acromium (the shoulder end of my collar bone) on both shoulders. Currently it's pinching down on my shoulder muscle and causing some pretty intense pain when I do certain things.

Right now, my left shoulder feels like I should just take it off completely and drawing my bow has recently become just too uncomfortable.

From what I understand, the procedure is pretty simple. They just go in with a little dremel tool sort of thing and buzz away the extra bone and deposits to make more room for the muscle.

Anyone here ever have this done? How long before you were shooting your bow at your original poundage?

I'm getting more and more anxious as the day for my right shoulder approaches (The 31st of this month). [&:]
Old 05-16-2006, 10:20 AM

Default RE: Shoulder surgery ????

Trembow-
Didn't have shoulder surgery, but do share your pain. Three years ago when I started bowhunting for the first time, I didn't know how to pull a bow back properly. When I did so incorrectly I actually severed 2 muscles in my shoulder because I tried to pull 65 pounds straight back using only my shoulder muscle. During the time I heard a pop but thought ah what the hell. After deer hunting all fall, I went in to the DR after 5 months of not being able to really utilize my arm properly when I went in they said I had severed two of the three main muscles connecting your shoulder to your arm. I spent 3 months in rehab, and then was shooting my bow that summer. I did not have to have surgery but did have to do a lot of strength exercises in order to get it back to where it should be. Good luck hope the surgery goes smoothly.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good luck to you friend get well soon.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

doesnt sound like its to invasive so you shouldnt be out for too long, ask your doctor he will tell you how long. Usually w/ joint surgery they like to get you using thejoint pretty quickly so you maintain muscle and tendon strength. Hope it goes well, my buddy had shoulder surger in the summer and had to use a crossbow for a season but he's fine now.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:41 AM

I had the exact same surgery. It will take a few years to get back if at all. Once they cut the AC joint your shoulder is free floating. The AC joint is what holds or pins the shoulder in place. All the other muscles will have to compensate to hold the shoulder in place. Strength and stability will be an issue. You may overcome the strength but you may never overcome stability. You will notice when you shoot thatyour back muscle, shoulder blade, trap musclearea will become tender. These muscles are trying to stabilize the shoulder due to the lack of the AC joint.You can overcome this butDON'T RUSH IT. It also depends on how good your surgeon is. Also, get the therapy chair. This chair moves the shoulder while it is healing. I spent 8 hours a day in this chair and I started the day after surgery. If your shoulder (AC Joint) developes scar tissue and locks up - YOUR DONE WITH BOW HUNTING!

Good luck.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:46 AM

Hmmmm.... I'll have to speak with my doctor. He didn't mention cutting any joints or anything. He said it's just triimming a little bone.

Thanks Eclipse, I'll ask him about the AC joint specifically when I have my pre-surgery consultation.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Had my college anatomy book sitting near by so i did some digging... he might not have to cut the AC joint completely it might be possible to enter from the front or rear. Im not familiar w/ the type of surgery, but i assume he will avoid cutting the ligaments at all costs...they dont heal very fast. and most of the time need to be artificially healed.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have had two surgerys on my left shoulder and am worse off than when i started , i am going to another Dr. next week and hope to get an answer . i havent been able to shoot 3 d for the last two years. i was able to turn down the draw weight enough that i can hunt with it still but cannot hold it for very long , it is weird how i have to draw also
Old 05-17-2006, 08:42 PM
Fork Horn

one of the men i hunt with had this done shaved the end of the bone off it was causing an impingement??? he had both sides done about two years apart last year he missed deer season because of it had surgury about two weeks before the season started but now alls ok. so take it slow and never rush trying to draw your bow back.
i think it took himaboutthree months maybe it was longer just to break over 40 lbs.he didnt want to rush anything,one season isn't worth damaging your shoulder again.exercise that shoulder good luck.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:24 AM

i'm with you trembow...i just had surgery on a torn labrum and a 25% tear in my rotator cuff..i'm also a little concerned with how long it'll be..doc says i'll be able to throw play "light" catch with a baseball in august..so i hope i can pull at least 60# bow by oct. 6th...good luck to everyone walking around in slings with surgically repaired shoulders...

Quick Reply: Shoulder surgery ????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.