Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What's a realistic hunting arrow speed today >

What's a realistic hunting arrow speed today

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's a realistic hunting arrow speed today

Old 05-09-2006, 06:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: What's a realistic hunting arrow speed today

I am getting my bow down from over 300 to 288 FPS, I just need to shave off 5-8 more feet to shoot ASA. And if I can't, the heck with it, I've never had a deer or hog complain about the speed.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:53 PM
Typical Buck

I'm shooting 253. I could rig my bow out for 300fps but I am comfortable
the way it is.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

This is the truth, I don't chronograph my bows speed, and in all these years only had one chronographed. If I knew at what speed I am shooting I am afraid I would start worrying. I know it shoots fast enough with a 425 grain arrow at 65 lbs. for hunting. In fact I worry more if perhaps I should be going heavier for hunting.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:09 PM
Fork Horn

One of the most successful hunters I know is an old guy that uses a recurve shooting about 170 fps. He gets a moose and a deer every year. Puts all his energy intogetting closeso the shooting part is easy.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

This thread reminded me of a little something funny I witnessed at the bow shop a couple of weeks back.

An archer came in shooting one of the big 3 bows with the intention of scaling his bow back or shooting a heavier arrow to slow his bow down to 280 for an upcoming shoot.
A few shots through the chronograph and he was very puzzled. 263 was what the chrony read shot after shot without ever tweaking the bow. He questioned the chrony so I eased over and flung an arrow and read the same 272 I had just read from the house before I drove up (to compare chronies).
He left without doing any tinkering and probably scored well at his 263.

Who knows maybe his bow was off or something, but he was sure he was well above 280 when he showed up.

I, like many others prefer ~270 with a ~400 grain arrow.
My tribute was posting 269 with a 405 this evening with smooth mods at 61#. I'm happy with that. My 390's were flinging anywhere from 272-275 (light was fading causing the chrony to start to drift between shots)
Old 05-10-2006, 06:55 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Rickmur

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

In todays world of 300 fpsbows is 260 fpsan average hunting speed in todays world of 300+ fps bows that are on the market.
That is whatI was referring too, Mr. Anal retentive. You asked as if you wanted to know if your set up was matching what was deemed appropriate for hunting. So next time you ask a question be specific, so we don't bunch your delicate panties. Good freaken grief, some people.
Look who'sAnal retentive, did you not see this in my original post[&:]. Do your homework right there Mr Teacher before you do your grading

Just curious, I'm happy with what I have thats all.
Anal retentive might not be the best choice of words. I was just feeling a personal attack after I had addressed the issue. I was refering to bullet speed in reference to how we have gone from 30-30, which took many animals with what is considered to be a rather slow bullet compared to todays 300s and 7mm rums. Just like a recurve or slow compound compaired to todays fast compounds. Besides I dont know what this [&:]means.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:09 AM

I get about 180 fps out of my recurve ....... about the same speed recurves have been giving since fiberglass was introduced as a limb laminate material
Old 05-10-2006, 08:28 AM

Kinda like asking which bullet speed is best
That's not kinda like that at all, what was asked was what's the adverage hunting bow speed in a hunting setup with bows that are commonly advertized above 300 fps. I don't see the "Kinda" in there at all.
Its crap like this that keeps me away from this forum. Every time I come here, there is some one down talking people.[:@][:@][:@] There are some here that can not post with out putting on the, "Holier than thou art" act.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I get 205fps out of my PSE Nova.[:'(]
Old 05-10-2006, 11:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: kentlyone

Kinda like asking which bullet speed is best
That's not kinda like that at all, what was asked was what's the adverage hunting bow speed in a hunting setup with bows that are commonly advertized above 300 fps. I don't see the "Kinda" in there at all.
Its crap like this that keeps me away from this forum. Every time I come here, there is some one down talking people.[:@][:@][:@]
There are some here that can not post with out putting on the, "Holier than thou art" act.
My comment to you is in a PM. End of story.

Quick Reply: What's a realistic hunting arrow speed today

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.