Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 broadhead flight? >

broadhead flight?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

broadhead flight?

Old 05-08-2006, 06:44 AM
Typical Buck

Default broadhead flight?

I am still messing w/ my setup for broadheads. My field points are perfect w/ really tight groups. When I shoot my broadheads, they are less than perfect and the groups tend to spread. I shoot they arrows w/ broadheads and sometimes I will have a good group and sometimes I will have one arrow out to the right or low. I really think it is me since I sometimes have good groups and sometimes not. I am thinking it might be a little target panic. By the way I am shooting 65# @ 31.5 w/ 300 carbon express & 125 thunderheads. I have also tried 100 muzzies.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: broadhead flight?

It could also be your arrows. You might be a little underspined with the CX 300s at 31.5" and 125 grain heads. You're right on the border between 300's and 400s.If you don't want to buy new arrows youmight want to use a 100grain head, shorten up your arrows a bit (if you can), or drop your draw weight a couple pounds.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

65# at 31 inches? What is the speed on that, 320 or so? Anyway, broadheads are going to have somewhat bigger groups just because of the increased area for aerodynamic drag and the slightest crosswind will have a much bigger effect than one would think. I did a study on it in college and was amazed by the results. Also, the rotation of the blades will create some lift that changes things. If it is only one arrow though I would check to make sure it is not the same arrow every time. Then check the shaft and the broadhead. It is not uncommon, in my experience, to have a broadhead shaft (whatever it is called) a little crooked. A simple spin test can show you if it isa little off. Again, it is amazing what a rotating imbalance will do to arrow flight.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:42 AM
Spike

If you are sure that you are tuned properly and spined correctly and still have problems I would suggest that you try Slick Tricks. If you aren't satisfied with them they will refund. Many have found them to fly just like field points. www.slicktrick.net
Old 05-08-2006, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: huntingson
If it is only one arrow though I would check to make sure it is not the same arrow every time. Then check the shaft and the broadhead. It is not uncommon, in my experience, to have a broadhead shaft (whatever it is called) a little crooked. A simple spin test can show you if it isa little off. Again, it is amazing what a rotating imbalance will do to arrow flight.
I agree 100%. This weekend bought 6 new muzzy 3 blade 125’s. 5 out of 6 flew great but the other one spiraled all over the place. I tried it on three different arrows and got the same results. I spin-checked it and sure enough it wobbled. The broadhead ferrule was slightly crooked. Definitely spin check that arrow that doesn’t fly straight.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:17 PM
Fork Horn

It really comes down to this. If your getting good groups with the broadheads sometimes and sometimes your not and your not tinkering with you setup in between then it is most likely your shooting form is changing slightlyfromtime to time.Be sure you are consistant in your anchoring points, grip,andoverall form.

Jay
Old 05-08-2006, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

You know not to be cold but mabey you just need to practice more. Broadheads are not as forgiveing as field points. Every thing has to be perfect to groop you broadheads as good as your field points. If you are sure your set up is right and tuned and your arrows are the right spine and tuned well mabey you just need more practice.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:08 PM

Sounds like bow torque to me. There's no reason to sometimes get good groups and sometimes not. If something was amiss, you wouldn't get good groups, period. But since you do.......take a good long look at your grip on the bow and whether you're punching the trigger or not.