Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Flashlight. With or without? >

Flashlight. With or without?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Flashlight. With or without?

Old 05-08-2006, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Flashlight. With or without?

Just wondering how many of you use a flashlight to enter/exit your stand? If you do, what color lens and type of light do you use?

LT
Old 05-08-2006, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Flashlight. With or without?

I use a white headlamp - available in LED at WallieMart for about $10. I try not to use it unless I have to.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:24 AM
Banned

I use a white lightl.e.d. headlamp; batteries last forever and I onlyuse when I need it.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I walk in with a red light on my head and a white light turned off in my hand. If I hear anything go bump in the night the white light comes on long enough to figure out it was just a coon then goes back out again.

2 times thenoise was actually a pig, once it was a doe. It hasn't been bigfoot or a chupacabra yet, butI ain't taking no chances.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

In PA?!

[:-]

Seriously......there's too much hunting pressure in my neck of the world to NOT make yourself completely identifiable as a human being in the dark.

That said I don't go walking through the woods with a police flasher on my head either.
My absolute favorite light for getting to the stand in the AM is the Streamlight "Stylus" light. It's pen sized and with the "hood" on the bulb it cannot be seen from the side but projects a beam of light on the ground like a wide beamed laser.
They stink as a tracking/locator style light but as an "Entry" light pointed down it is pretty darn stealthy, will keep the jagger bushes from ripping your eyes out, andwill also keep you from getting an arrow in your butt.
Win,Win,Win.

It's hard to hunt with a ripped out eyeball or an arrow in your butt.
(That should be Streamlight's ad campaign for that model light?)
Old 05-08-2006, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on where I am hunting and how much moon light is out. I prefer to not use one if I can, but that depends on a lot of things. I usually will try to not use one when on my property because I know there are no other hunters on it. I also use a streamlight, mine is the 2 cell lithium LED one. It is awfully bright and awesome for tracking as well. When I do use it, I will turn it on, check things out, then turn it off and walk 20-30 yards and then stop and turn it on again.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:18 AM
Dominant Buck

I love to let my eyes get used to the dark and slip in quietly as I can. If most people give it half a chance they'd be surprised at how well they can see in the dark. If you keep lighting up a zeon searchlight, well it doesn't help. So I go in dark, my hunting partner Len on the other hand goes into the same woods with a blue or greenLed head lamp. I'm forever saying turn out the light.... turn out the light. It doesn't matter though. That thing just about disappears at 50 or 75 yards and it's bright when you're by him. It doesn't spook any critters, but I just still like to sneak in and let my eyes get used to the dark. The occasional stick in the eye doesn't help. I do always have in my hand a Cyclone light that is powered by 4 AAs. It has a two way switch. One way it's an amber single LED that doesn't destroy you night vision totally. The other way it's a bright light for tracking wounded critters.My ritual is to always have it in my hand in case I need it. I rarely turn it on.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Plain old white flashlight or headlamp , critters that walk the night can see any shade of light .
Old 05-08-2006, 08:54 AM

I use the headlamp style that has 3 different light settings. You can choose among red, white led, or plain old halogen by the turn of a knob. I would rather have a light on then to make all kinds of racket going in lightless.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:55 AM

Yes

Quick Reply: Flashlight. With or without?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.