Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Spine or brisket shot? >

Spine or brisket shot?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Spine or brisket shot?

Old 04-16-2006, 11:06 AM
Typical Buck

Default Spine or brisket shot?

If you had a decent buck in your sight but the shot is a spine shot from above or a frontal shot on the ground would you take them ? These deer are about to run and this will be the only shot you get.The above shot is 20 ft up, the frontal shot is 15 yrds.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:11 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Spine or brisket shot?

Several questions come to mind, what poundage are you shooting kind of broadheads, and shooting abilities. The answer for me is maybe on the frontal shot all questions answered. But miss the spine and hit the animal you may wish you hadnt, bad hit means unrecovered deer possibly and we owe the animals more than that.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:35 AM
Typical Buck

prez--I dont think the poundage or type of head has any thig to do with
these types of shots, Spine is right under a little flesh and skin,frontal
shot soft flesh if you hit white throat spot. Shooting ability has every thing to do with it and confiedence.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:50 AM

Neither, I would pass the shot(s).

It isn't about my confidence or personal ability, it's about whether I findeither of those shotsto beethical. I don't find either to be ethical shots, so I would pass, plain and simple. Broadside or quartering away or I pass the shot.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:53 AM
Fork Horn

What WH said---NO SHOT
Old 04-16-2006, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

. Shooting ability has every thing to do with it and confiedence.
Well said,and every hunter should be able to make these shots on a TARGET.
Aiming for a small white patch on his throat from 15 yards away when the deer is about to run and your addrenalin is pumping dosn't make for a favorable shot,to many variables.Especially if you miss the "patch" and hit his shoulder blades.Thats where the poundage and broadhead comes into play,without enough K.E pushing a good broadhead into his vitals you are asking for alot of trouble.
And about the straight down spine shots,no way.Miss the spine and maybe hit one lung,long blood trail,assuming the arrow passed through.If not it will be a long night waiting on the deer to expire and hoping to find him in the morn nearby.Like Priz said,we owe the animal more ,and treat it with a little respect.We dont want the animal to suffer due to unethecal shots.It happens in the field everyday,but we can sure prevent them with a little common sence.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:51 PM

Not saying I'd take the shot,there are a lot of variables.but at the same time I think a right below you spine shot is a easy kill for sure.With good KE at that close range,your blowing right through, most likely the deer doesn't make it 10' .
Old 04-16-2006, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

No Shot
Old 04-16-2006, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

It isn't about my confidence or personal ability, it's about whether I findeither of those shotsto beethical. I don't find either to be ethical shots, so I would pass, plain and simple. Broadside or quartering away or I pass the shot.
BINGO!!!!
Old 04-16-2006, 07:55 PM

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

very well said deer deserve better then that!!!!!!!i would have alot more bucks either on my wall or deer running around with arrows if i toke them kind of shot!!!!!

Quick Reply: Spine or brisket shot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.