Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Spine or brisket shot? >

Spine or brisket shot?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Spine or brisket shot?

Old 04-16-2006, 08:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Spine or brisket shot?

At least 100 percent of the deer you don't shoot at..... you don't kill. If I really wanted to choose it would be the shot from above. I shoot enough poundage, good enough broadheads etc to shoot through most spines. If I aim properly I'll have the heart as my exit angle. The deer should be dead in seconds. I'll take it and have. I've one lunged them, spined them, killed them etc. If you can make the shot the distance is a slam dunk.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:52 AM

Spine yes, briskett no.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:05 PM
Dominant Buck

Id have to be there to make that decision. From the info you give, Id let it walk. Ive got a lot of life left and many more hunts in me. Id try another day. Reason I say that is because the way you set it up makes me believe everything is rushed. And if you didnt have time for it to give you a better shot, Id just let it walk. I would hate to let an arrow fly to never recover the animal and know it will just die a horrible death some where else.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:28 PM

Spine, yes. I'm not sure about the brisket, so probably not.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I probably wouldn't take either shot but I don't know, there are a lot of variables as to whether someone can make them. They aren't the highest percentage going by the book, butfor some people around here, I'm sure they can be made with almost relative certainty.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would shoot a straight on. I have in the past and I've killed 3 deer that way, never have lost one. As far as a straight down goes that may be too risky. I know i'll probably getting reamed for saying i'd take the straight on shot, but I would, and I'd kill the animal.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:42 PM
Site Buck Guru

I would take the spine shot. I have done so 4 times already.3 at 6 yards and 1 at 10 yards. I make sure that I aim at a spot that will give mea heart/lung if I miss the spine. So far its been two of each. With the spine shots you have to get down quickly and give them a finishing shot while the heart/lung shots are dead within 75 yards or less. My favorite shot is still the 12 to 15 yard broadside shot.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:04 PM
Spike

With the question asked, I'll give MHO. IF MY LIFE DEPENDED ON IETHER I WOULD TAKE IT AND BE CONFIDENT OF MY PLACEMENT, however if iI had my 'drethers' I would hope to see that deer another day..
Old 04-17-2006, 03:51 PM

No shot, I would move my set up to a better ambush point and try to get him next time.

Old 04-17-2006, 04:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

Neither, I would pass the shot(s).

It isn't about my confidence or personal ability, it's about whether I findeither of those shotsto beethical. I don't find either to be ethical shots, so I would pass, plain and simple. Broadside or quartering away or I pass the shot.
Ditto. None of us are going to starve if we don't kill a deer. We owe it to the deer and our fellow bowhunters to be certain of a clean, efficient kill when we release that arrow. Nobody can be certain of a kill on these type shots, I don't care whom it is. Let 'em walk and see 'em another day.

Quick Reply: Spine or brisket shot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.