Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Longest Yardage

Old 03-31-2006, 02:54 AM

Default RE: Longest Yardage

Deer is 40. Moose, Elk 50 under ideal conditions.

Kirby
Old 03-31-2006, 05:20 AM

40 yards for sure. If the right shot was open at 50 (Not in the woods)I would feel fine.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:38 AM

i dont really want to really get anybody exited but i really dont think you should shot any deer past 30 yards. i know there is some relly great shots out there but that deer can do alot of things before that arrow gets there. it also a whole lot different shotting a nice buck then shooting at a 3d target. i know because i missed a nice py buck 3 years ago at 20 yards and if it was a 3d target in my back yard i would kill that deer proably 99% of the time!!!! i also see in alot of these hunting video these guys are shooting at these deer at long distance and are missing most of the time. now far as moose and other big game i have really never hunted them before so i dont know.they do seem to have a bigger vital area and dont seem to have as quik reflects, but i dont know. i do know no matter what your hunting getting him around 15 to 20 yards your chance of harvesting that animaland not wounding that animal are alot better. but thats my 2 cents for what ever its worth!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-31-2006, 06:50 AM

Well... I have pins from 20-70 yards, but 50 yards is definately tops, and this is perfect ideal conditions, which I am sure I will never have, so really the longest shot (realistically) that I'd take is about 35 yds. As for what Madeline said... if your bow is quiet that deer won't be doing too much before that arrow gets there (considering it's not in movement when you shoot, ex. head in the ground eating or something...) shot placement is key
Old 03-31-2006, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Madeline

i dont really want to really get anybody exited but i really dont think you should shot any deer past 30 yards. i know there is some relly great shots out there but that deer can do alot of things before that arrow gets there. it also a whole lot different shotting a nice buck then shooting at a 3d target. i know because i missed a nice py buck 3 years ago at 20 yards and if it was a 3d target in my back yard i would kill that deer proably 99% of the time!!!! i also see in alot of these hunting video these guys are shooting at these deer at long distance and are missing most of the time. now far as moose and other big game i have really never hunted them before so i dont know.they do seem to have a bigger vital area and dont seem to have as quik reflects, but i dont know. i do know no matter what your hunting getting him around 15 to 20 yards your chance of harvesting that animaland not wounding that animal are alot better. but thats my 2 cents for what ever its worth!!!!!!!!!!!
I agree 100%. I don't care if you can hit quarters at 60 yards, too much can go wrong beyond 30 yards. Yes maybe you can kill a deer at 50 or 60 yardsbut what percentage of the time do you wound the animal? When your kill percentage starts to drop off, that should be your limit in my opinion. My kill percentage is the same at 25 yards as it is at 15 yards so I don't hesitate to shoot at 25 yards. At 35 yards, I might wound one out of five so I don't even risk it.....
Old 03-31-2006, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

45 yards as long as there is a hole i can punch it through.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

i know because i missed a nice py buck 3 years ago at 20 yards and if it was a 3d target in my back yard i would kill that deer proably 99% of the time!!!!
So are you saying you should only shoot at less then 20 yards?[8D]

I belive my longest shot is 28 paces, that's what I go by.I'd have no problem shooting at a relaxed non alert deer out to 35 -40 paces. I believe that is as big a factor as yardage. If your shooting at a deer that's alert and ready to bolt at 20 yards what's your kill percentage? Wouldn't be better to shoot a deer that's farther away and relaxed?

I've heard many hunters especially those out west say that a deer will actually react to the sound of a bow less the farther they are away they are. They tend to have to take longer shots because of the Terrian.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

My longest shot on a deer was at 35 yards. Was shooting a very fast compound with carbons at the time. Between the point of no return on the release and the time the arrowgot to the deer, the deer took a step on me. Turned a double lung into a single lung/liver shot. We let the deer go overnight and found it in the morning. But I vowed not to shoot at that range again.
I keep my shots within 20 yards now. But depending on the circumstance may shoot to 25.

The quote below contain some info on how much a deer can move before an arrow gets to it. Below that is an average grouping for me at 25 yards.

A bow shooting at 280 FPS a deer moving at 2 MPH:

At 35 yards a deer can move a little over one foot by the time you shoot and the arrow gets there.

At 12 yards a deer can move a little over four inches.

Remember I am calculating this based on constant speed (deer and arrow), of course the arrow will slow down a lot by the time it gets 35 yards. So the 1 foot measure will be greater.

If you need the calculations let me know.

Old 03-31-2006, 08:25 AM

35 tops and everything would have to be right, ie. little wind, clear shooting lane, comfortable position, broadside or slightly quartering away.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Even though I can shoot very accurately with a compound out to insane distances, I'vehad a self imposed limit of 30 yards for bowhuntingfor many years.Last time I arrowed a critterbeyond 30 yards, I felt really let down afterwards. As much challenge as there was, I might as well have been using my 30-30. Wasn't what I wanted from bowhunting.

Today, normally it's20 yards maxwith my recurve or longbow.Maybe 25 if I'm really feeling the mojo.

Quick Reply: Longest Yardage

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.