Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Don't apply for quota hunts if your not going to go >

Don't apply for quota hunts if your not going to go

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Don't apply for quota hunts if your not going to go

Old 03-29-2006, 10:27 AM

Default RE: Don't apply for quota hunts if your not going to go

Hey cabin is spelled with a C. Hey i bet a bunch of PETA people went and put in for the draw and a bunch of them got tags so that people cant hunt them.

Theres always next year!
Old 03-29-2006, 11:20 AM
Dominant Buck

I'd take it as the perfect opportunity to experiment and tinker with turkey talk. No time like the present to play and do all those things you always wanted to try. Go out and find out how much calling you can get away with. GO out and find out how LITTLE calling you can get away with. Pack a lunch and a camera. HECK, if you have access to a video camera you can really have some fun. MY nephew did that on a place the guy wouldn't let him hunt, but he let him come in and call and video. He's got the greatest 20 minute video I ever saw of a Tom Turkey just screwing and screwing his decoy. When he was done the decoy was pushed right into the mud in a spring field. The stake came right through the decoy and was sticking up through the real turkeys wing. He kept doing his thing and every once in a while his foot would reach up and push the stake aside. I mean, what seemed forever this bird climbed on top of this trampled decoy and did his thing. He got tired of holding the camera at 15 yards and set it down for a while. The bird never was the wiser. He showed the video to the farmer who then decided the next year that it was OK if Doug wanted to hunt turkeys on his place.... but no one else( except his favorite out of state uncle of course.[8D][8D] All your playing won't hurt a thing for hunting next year. Shooting the dang things is anti climatic anyway to me. The fun is in the roosting and calling.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:35 AM
Dominant Buck

What is this "draw" thing of which you speak ?
The only time we have to draw to hunt is for military reserves and park reduction hunts , other than that we can pretty much kill at will(subject to seasonal bag limits , of course) .
Old 03-29-2006, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BareBack Jack

Bobby,
You come on over here,you can buy you turkey tag over the counter.
BBJ
Thats a heck of an ideal BJ and I just might do that. I was entertaining the ideal and chequeing out going over to idiaho which is only 2 hrs west and I can get a non-res. for $80.00, the only thing is I'd waste a lot of time scouting in an unknown area, but than again, been there and done it before.
I hunted down in the breaks for the past couple years and I didn't see any sign of turkeys, but than again I wasn't really looking for them either. Have you been seeing any? Going through moccasin I didn't see anything but combines and antelope. Have far do you have to go? I guess I better get my mapps and start jumping through some hoops. Thanks for the idea.

Bobby
Old 03-29-2006, 02:55 PM
Dominant Buck

That does stink. In Texas we get two tags for hen orgobbler for fall, and two tags forgobbler in spring.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Funny story david and yeah those things happen and using this season as a learning tool won't hurt a dang thing. Usually when you shoot a gobbler and if there is another one with it, the other one will start kicking the crap out of him to get the hen. I was also thinking of bowhunting them, but instead of using a broadhead, use one of those rubber blunt tips on it with a paintball on the end of the shaft and maybe I can post a picture of the turkey I could of had. I'm not sure if the fish and game dept. would frown on that for possibly harrassing wildlife violation.
Kevin, quota means they only allow 300 permits to be issued for hunting the turkeyhere. There is a lot of turkeys around here but they congragate in flocks of a couple dozen only in certain areas and they do need to be thinned out but then again in some other areas here, they need to be reintroduced. Not only hunters but predators is another reason why they have to keep a limit. Good luck this year.

Bobby

Bobby
Old 03-29-2006, 07:27 PM

I would venture to say that the DNR has already factored in a percentage of no shows when coming up with the tag number.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Bobby I sent a PM,
also isn't there a area around Kalispel or Thompson Falls,you can hunt over the counter?I wouldn't use that blunt on them,I had a buddy blunt a doe in the for head a few hunting season's ago,and the damn shaft went through the blunt and into her head,killed her on the spot.He had to use is A tag on her he was pissed,I just laughed,and laughed and laughed all the way home.
BBJ
Old 03-30-2006, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats hilliaruis BJ, thats the way my luck would go too.
Down in the valleys of the flathead is mostly private sectors and there is a mess of turkeys but they seem like there mostly concentrated on private property.
You got mail also, and thanks.

Bobby

Old 03-30-2006, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok Bobby sounds like we have a plan,see you sometime in April.
BBJ

Quick Reply: Don't apply for quota hunts if your not going to go

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.