HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Don't apply for quota hunts if your not going to go
Old 03-29-2006, 11:20 AM
davidmil
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Don't apply for quota hunts if your not going to go

I'd take it as the perfect opportunity to experiment and tinker with turkey talk. No time like the present to play and do all those things you always wanted to try. Go out and find out how much calling you can get away with. GO out and find out how LITTLE calling you can get away with. Pack a lunch and a camera. HECK, if you have access to a video camera you can really have some fun. MY nephew did that on a place the guy wouldn't let him hunt, but he let him come in and call and video. He's got the greatest 20 minute video I ever saw of a Tom Turkey just screwing and screwing his decoy. When he was done the decoy was pushed right into the mud in a spring field. The stake came right through the decoy and was sticking up through the real turkeys wing. He kept doing his thing and every once in a while his foot would reach up and push the stake aside. I mean, what seemed forever this bird climbed on top of this trampled decoy and did his thing. He got tired of holding the camera at 15 yards and set it down for a while. The bird never was the wiser. He showed the video to the farmer who then decided the next year that it was OK if Doug wanted to hunt turkeys on his place.... but no one else( except his favorite out of state uncle of course.[8D][8D] All your playing won't hurt a thing for hunting next year. Shooting the dang things is anti climatic anyway to me. The fun is in the roosting and calling.