Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Snakes and Getting In Stand Before Dawn? >

Snakes and Getting In Stand Before Dawn?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Snakes and Getting In Stand Before Dawn?

Old 03-19-2006, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Snakes and Getting In Stand Before Dawn?

I don't know if any of you have ever hunted central Louisiana, but let me give you a little firsthand insight. Copperheads ARE abundant. Cottonmouths ARE abundant. Rattlesnakes NOT quite as abundant, yet still a concern(just not mad at the world like the ones mentioned above). I agree the rattlesnake is not as easily provoked as others as stated by someone else here. One that you seem to have forgotten was the Pygmy or Ground rattler as we call them. They ARE abundant here as we even find them in the yard from time to time. No, I don't live in the swamp or even near one. Just not that many swamps this for north. I have seen cottonmouths firsthand almost bite my brother going to a deerstand before good daylight. Seen copperheads reaction when stepped on. Not Pretty. Never been bitten, but the possibility is always multiplied I think when slipping across creekbanks and over and around logs blowdowns, etc., before daylight and after dark. I was only wondering what the general consensus was on how others avoided or confronted this issue. I am not scared of snakes as if they were going to attack me. I know better than that. I just like to take precautions to make it home safe.

Thanks for all the input guys, LT.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:26 PM

Snakes? HA!

I always walk to and from my stand with 2 or 3 red tailedhawks sitting on my shoulders. Snakes have never bothered me. (but sometimes the hawks get annoying)
Old 03-19-2006, 07:30 PM
Dominant Buck

When I lived and hunted in Georgia I always had snake protection on(boots or gaiters). I had 3 genuine close encounters with rattlesnakes. I tell ya, a close encounter and a slap on the boots will make you wear the dang things anytime the temperature is above 40. My biggest fear was running into one of those big ones that would knock you off your feet and then bite you in the neck.[&:] Most of the locals use to tell me, "those Buggers won't bother you. Heck, I wear sneakers.... but then, you're a Yankee and Buggers don't like Yankees". I wore my boots. Vietnam took my ears. I couldn't hear a rattle snake if I was standing on it.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah David I agree, it ain't funny being slapped on the leg even if you ain't bit. A buddy of mine got it last year and shook him up so bad he could hardly hunt. HAHA I think mother nature called him real quickly afterwards if you know what I mean. If you don't mind me asking, what brand of gaiters or boots are good enough? Thanks, LT
Old 03-20-2006, 04:34 AM
Dominant Buck

All of the snakes are in hibernation by Fall here , I never see any .
Old 03-20-2006, 04:46 AM

I live in North Dakota. Whats a snake??
Old 03-20-2006, 07:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

I live in North Dakota. Whats a snake??

In Illinois and Missouri, it seems that by mid-October, there's not really anything to be concerned with in regard to snakes at this time of the year... I've seen a couple hog-nosed snakes out, but that's about it. I still try not to crawl through blowdowns though.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:20 AM

I fI see a snake I do like Thulsa Doom did in the movie Conan the Barbarian and use it as an arrow, kills instantly.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:23 AM

I hunt in the Big Cypress swamp in South Florida. We have lots of snakes, and they are moreactive in the dark. I always wear waterproofsnake boots. Last year I wore Readhead boots, and this year I will wear Lacrosse boots. Both are good. The snakes I haveencountered usuallyare not agressive and go the other way as quickly as they can, but I know that would not be the case if I surprised one. I am always careful in the swamp, and I have never had a snake hit my boot. But I am usually a mile or so from a crushed rockroad, and maybe 15-20 miles away from a paved road where there isa ranger station and medical assistance, so I cannot afford to get bit out there.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:26 PM

Might want to rethink that! Last year, opening day of Turkey season, 2 ft. Copperhead in my popup. Very aggressive and in strike mode. Then 2nd week of bow season, killed 7ft. Rattlesnake at the base of my tripod. He tried to strike me, with no warning. I wear gaitors or tall boots, but definately be on the watch for them.

Quick Reply: Snakes and Getting In Stand Before Dawn?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.