HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Snakes and Getting In Stand Before Dawn? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/136941-snakes-getting-stand-before-dawn.html)

LouisianaTomkat 03-19-2006 01:01 PM

Snakes and Getting In Stand Before Dawn?

Another question of mine as a new bowhunter is about the good old snakes in fall. How do you guys deal with getting in your stand before daylight and leaving out after dark? Do you wear snake protection boots, gaiters, etc. or just carry a bright light and try to be careful? I know "another newbie question", but hey, if you never ask, you may never know. After all, I don't know about you guys but cottonmouths, copperheads, and rattlers are not taken lightly by myself. Thanks for the input guys.

LT

Oneshot7 03-19-2006 01:33 PM

RE: Snakes and Getting In Stand Before Dawn?

run like &^($ and hope you dont get neaer one least a rattler gives u a lil warn

bigbulls 03-19-2006 01:39 PM

Thought never even crossed my mind.

It's not like they are there every step of the way.

I assume you live in Lousiana? Unless you are hunting in swamp or very close to water the cottonmouths won't be abundant at all. While some consider them to be "man killers" they aren't going to just seek you out and bite you unless you step on them or harass them in some way. And if I were hunting in Lousiana in swamp land I would be far more concerned about the gators. ;)

Copperheads are not going to kill a grown human unless you pick it up and let it repeatedly bite you. Besides that a copperhead is a very shy snake and will turn tail and run if given the slightest chance. The chances of seeing a copperhead are fairly remote. They are not a creature that likes to be seen and are usually under rocks, logs, leaves, etc...

Rattle snakes while certanly more of a concern than the other two will not just bite you unless provoked in some way. Even the biggest of rattlers will try to get away from you if you just leave them alone.

I have handled hundreds of cottonmouths and rattle snakes and several copperheads and I was never in danger of being bitten unless I was handling them. I have stepped within a foot of rattle snakes and cottonmouths before and none of them attempted to bite me.unless I actually stepped on one.

Alex The Hawk 03-19-2006 01:45 PM

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

Thought never even crossed my mind.

It's not like they are there every step of the way.

I assume you live in Lousiana? Unless you are hunting in swamp or very close to water the cottonmouths won't be abundant at all. While some consider them to be "man killers" they aren't going to just seek you out and bite you unless you step on them or harass them in some way. And if I were hunting in Lousiana in swamp land I would be far more concerned about the gators. ;)

Copperheads are not going to kill a grown human unless you pick it up and let it repeatedly bite you. Besides that a copperhead is a very shy snake and will turn tail and run if given the slightest chance. The chances of seeing a copperhead are fairly remote. They are not a creature that likes to be seen and are usually under rocks, logs, leaves, etc...

Rattle snakes while certanly more of a concern than the other two will not just bite you unless provoked in some way. Even the biggest of rattlers will try to get away from you if you just leave them alone.

I have handled hundreds of cottonmouths and rattle snakes and several copperheads and I was never in danger of being bitten unless I was handling them. I have stepped within a foot of rattle snakes and cottonmouths before and none of them attempted to bite me.unless I actually stepped on one.
If you hunt south carolina you might rethink About copperheads, in 40 years of hunting I have only come accross a few rattlers and I must say copperheads are more aggressive there ,besides the venom is the same as Cottonmouths so don't be so light on them.
But I agree snakes are not going to seek you out, but use caution anytime your in the woods and walking to the stand just carry a good light.

bigbulls 03-19-2006 02:26 PM

I have lived and hunted in Northern Virginia, South and Eastern Texas, Colorado, Alabama, Florida and the only place I have seen and been able to handle copperheads is in Virginia.

Copperheads are definetly more abundant in The Carolinas than down in Texas or Louisiana where the cottonmouth is very abundant.

Yes copperheads and cottonmouths have the same type of venom (hemotoxin). However the copperheads venom is not as toxic as a cottonmouths and do much less damage to a humans body. If bitten one still needs to get medical attention though.

aeroslinger 03-19-2006 02:26 PM

I've got some camo gaiters that I used to wear almost every time out. Lots of rattlers in Texas. Didn't wear them as much last year. When I get some new boots I may get some snake proof. I don't really view them as needed but kind of nice to have.

cardeer 03-19-2006 02:41 PM

never worry about it

Shootstuff4570 03-19-2006 02:52 PM

ORIGINAL: cardeer

never worry about it
i dont worry about it either.

The Rev 03-19-2006 02:52 PM

I live in Texas, and wear boots almost all the time... I always buy snake boots, so I never have to contend with that issue... Unless one drops out of a tree, I am fine.:D

The Rev 03-19-2006 02:58 PM

ORIGINAL: The Rev

I live in Texas, and wear boots almost all the time... I always buy snake boots, so I never have to contend with that issue... Unless one drops out of a tree, I am fine.:D

Here's a good example, they don't have to be ugly...