HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Snakes and Getting In Stand Before Dawn?
Old 03-19-2006, 04:17 PM
LouisianaTomkat
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Snakes and Getting In Stand Before Dawn?

I don't know if any of you have ever hunted central Louisiana, but let me give you a little firsthand insight. Copperheads ARE abundant. Cottonmouths ARE abundant. Rattlesnakes NOT quite as abundant, yet still a concern(just not mad at the world like the ones mentioned above). I agree the rattlesnake is not as easily provoked as others as stated by someone else here. One that you seem to have forgotten was the Pygmy or Ground rattler as we call them. They ARE abundant here as we even find them in the yard from time to time. No, I don't live in the swamp or even near one. Just not that many swamps this for north. I have seen cottonmouths firsthand almost bite my brother going to a deerstand before good daylight. Seen copperheads reaction when stepped on. Not Pretty. Never been bitten, but the possibility is always multiplied I think when slipping across creekbanks and over and around logs blowdowns, etc., before daylight and after dark. I was only wondering what the general consensus was on how others avoided or confronted this issue. I am not scared of snakes as if they were going to attack me. I know better than that. I just like to take precautions to make it home safe.

Thanks for all the input guys, LT.