Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Permanent Stands? >

Permanent Stands?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Permanent Stands?

Old 03-16-2006, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Permanent Stands?

I build semi-portable ladder stands that strap to the tree with a very large cargo strap. The picture in this post is 2-man version that I hunt out of with my daughter (that's NOT my daughter in the pic below). You can wrap the legs and platform with shredded burlap to make it less obvious/visible.

You can make a one person stand by making it half as wide as the one in the post. Just think of a ladder with a 24"x30" platform on top and braces that run from the ladder to the platform which leans against the tree. You can drag or carry these stands on your back or with a pick-up/ATV if you lose the property or want to hunt from a different spot.

They do less damage to the tree than a climber and they're perfect if you have a partner that can't get into a climber (daughter/son).

I've killed plenty of deer from them at spitting distances.

You can get the lumber dirt cheap if you shop around.

Use at your own risk and don't forget your safety harness(es).

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1424490&mpage=2&key=&#142684 3

Old 03-16-2006, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can see one of mine in this pic.........

This stand is a great producer for us, every time it was hunted in 2005 a buck was sighted out of it and several does were taken here too.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:57 AM

With the high cost of wood now you are better off buying tree stands now that the are on sale after season. Also I would be scared that your stands over time will not be safe. Stick to one made in a factory that was designed to last and be safe.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:07 AM

This is what I do, take 2 14' 2x6's and a 4'x4' wooden pallet, you can usually find one at Wal Mart or any other store. Cut a 4'x8' sheet of 3/4" plywood in half and secure to the pallet, then use the 2x6's for the ladder, you can use 2x4's for the steps. Assemble it as a ladder stand and simply lean it against the tree of your choosing. I like to run a few supports about 1/2way up and then ratchet strap it to the tree! Saves the trees and holds the stand securly!!
Old 03-16-2006, 09:34 AM
Typical Buck

I wouldnt use a homemade presonal stands for many reasons....1. being that the nail gets sucked in by the tree and the stand will break eventually
2. for the amount that you will spend on lumber u could buy a good climbing or hang on stand and use climbing sticks with it.
3.those stands are tested to be used to the toughest extent

dont let the amount of money you spent on a stand determine your safety
Old 03-16-2006, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't use permanent stands if I were you. A property I hunt on is about 60 acres and we stick to hunting the edges of the property out of portable lock-on stands. We always wear safety harnesses and have never had a problem The reason I prefer lock-ons is the fact that I can get them up a big higher, and can hang them in trees that I can't put a fixed or a climber stand in. You want lots of cover for your stand, and underneath you, and with a lock-on you can achieve this by putting it in a tree with lots of limbs, branches, etc. I've built a lot of fixed wood ladder stands in the past however, before I made my transition. Our best method was a framed 2x4 top with treated plywood on the top and a V notch cut in the back to set against the tree. There were 2x4 supports down to the legs of the ladder. The ladder was comprised of 2x4's and short cut 2x4's on the front to make the legs. Hope this helps either way.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bowtech, I guess that is my dilemma. I just can't seem to find any quality "cheap" climbing sticks and hang ons. I am up for suggestions though. Please let me know if you know of any good sources for these. I really want to go with the hang ons and sticks. I already have a good climber. And as for all the suggestions, above, they are good ideas.

Thanks, LT
Old 03-17-2006, 08:12 AM

I built one on my buddy's farm (in Western NY) 21 years ago, and it's still in great shape (although there have been periodic repairs made to it, along with annual pruning)! I used pressure treated lumber and stainless steel hardware, and so far the maple tree it's in has been no worse for wear. I have three stainlessscrew-in steps at various intervals and also rely on limbs for climbing up (about 22'). Ihave mesh around the rails, spray-paintedwith a "skyline" pattern. Many deer (bucks and does of all ages) have been taken from it with both shotgun and bow, including a 148 and a 142 P&Y (although, unfortunately not by me). None of the deer seem to pay it any attention, but that is probably because only a handful of people have been invited to hunt there, and they are careful not to screw up a good thing! It's situated where the corners of two fields(oats/alfalfa and corn, diagonal from one another), and hardwoods and sumacsmeet, with an old, dried up stream that allows deer to cross the seemingly open field, 300 yards to more hardwoods (and another permanent stand), about 35 yards south. When you hunt the rut you always see deer (though with a bow you may not get a shot opportunity). The best part is that all it costs me to hunt there is a few cases of beer (and I work at a brewery).