HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Permanent Stands? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/136584-permanent-stands.html)

LouisianaTomkat 03-15-2006 06:34 PM

Permanent Stands?

Hey guys, I have 40 acres of private land that I can do whatever I want on.(Except damage pine trees) I was wondering if any of you have pics of permanent stands you have built or ideas you have used in the past. Also do you know of any web sites that have plans for making permanent stands? I have built some in the past, but I just want some new ideas. Let's be safe about it.

Thanks, LT

mobow 03-15-2006 06:38 PM

RE: Permanent Stands?

We have erected 2 out of warehouse shelving.

LouisianaTomkat 03-15-2006 06:40 PM

Can you give a little more detail mobow? Thanks.

mobow 03-15-2006 06:42 PM

Ummmm........racking .........uprights with crossbeams then decking laid down on the crossbeams. Shelves, if you will. We'll be at the farm hunting in about a month, I'll take a photo and send it to you.

LouisianaTomkat 03-15-2006 06:46 PM

I believe I get the picture. Sounds like something I 've done before. Do you use climbing sticks with that or a permanent ladder of sorts? A pic would be nice if it's not too much trouble. Thanks, LT

mobow 03-15-2006 06:51 PM

We built ladders for access. Then we hung camo burlap around it for some added concealment. Pics are no problem, as long as I remember. We'll be down there for turkey season in about a month.

nctaxi 03-15-2006 07:18 PM

I've built them using 12' 4x4s then bolted cross beam sections and up from there. Had someone give me an old ladder and used it to get in. Worked for a while then lost the land when it was sold.

MNpurple 03-15-2006 07:30 PM

You need the right setup for this one, but I have built them when I find trees in a cluster of three. I put 2*6s on the outside of the treesto make a triangle. 2*6 from tree 1 to tree 2, 2*6 from tree 2 to tree 3, and then a 2*6 from tree 3 back to tree 1. Screw them tight to the trees and build your platform on top of that newly created triangle. Actually I find trees right for this fairly often. Ibuilt 2 of these8 or9 years ago, and it has now killed some of those trees that got screwed . So, I do not build premanents anymore, no need to kill a tree.

In all honesty, I eventually noticed that deer with anyyears of experience behind them know what those are andseemed to skirt around them.Its like any stand, keep depositing scent there or get busted a couple times and they catch on, especially the big fellas. I take no responsibility if you follow my stand plan and you get hurt, use plan at your own risk!

LouisianaTomkat 03-15-2006 07:40 PM

Yeah I know deer get smart to this pretty quick. My idea is to have these stands completely concealed except for the platform thatI will only be able to see from above. I think the surprise element is what makes deer spook. If they get shocked by your presence they are gone. If the stand is there year round and you don't get busted, they tend to not fear that area. Just my opinion from watching them in the past. Thanks for the ide and no I won't hold you responsible if I decide to fly from te platform one day. Ha Ha Just kidding, Hope that never happens.[:o]

Thanks, LT

IL-Cornfed 03-15-2006 08:34 PM

Why create the eye sores of permanent stands on ANY property??? Also, think of how difficult it would be to get a hunt wise edgy trophy buck close to ANY of those locations??? Not worth the effort in my opinion. Keep those types of stands for the GUN season and hope for the best. Good luck and good shootin'