Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 spot-hogg and sword sights >

spot-hogg and sword sights

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

spot-hogg and sword sights

Old 03-14-2006, 07:21 AM

Default RE: spot-hogg and sword sights

oh yeah, the situation with the untuned archer who won the tournament. i believe you should change your 'his' to 'hers', and mention it was the cams that were not synched, and not her level that was off.

turtle shell, how do you know if you cant the bow if you're level is off? hehehhe

anyway, stop that and you'll shoot better. though you may need to correct your grip to do it and it will feel wierd at first.

also, if you can adjust the 2nd axis you can set your level to match your cant, so you can make sure you're canting the same way every time, which is what the thing is for - to help you do the same thing every time.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Just stop putting words in my mouth.....and I'll stop posting. I never mentioned anything about "the archer's""level" being off. There are a number of things that could make someone's bow be out of tune.

Jeff
Old 03-14-2006, 08:25 AM

well, in the instance you're talking about her cams were not synched, which affects arrow flight, and often times not impact point - which was the type of competition she was in.

and i'm sure you shot your switchback well from 20 yards. even i can chip from 20 yards. but you take a shot at a target 60 yards away horizontally and on a 30 degree incline, and you'll soon see against someone who can really shoot, and understands both their axis, that your shooting wouldn't be called very good (i mean no offense by this, its just that i've seen things that blow my frikkin mind from folks who can really shoot. all the stance things you know about golf, and i know about tennis,these guys know about archery, and its all about keeping the bow plumb, their 3rd axis,and their shoulders correct).

i thought i shot pretty good until i shot with some folks who do.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:50 AM
Dominant Buck

I shot good enough to HUNT in 2 weeks (utilizing ethics....and staying within my means). The guy that's won the last THREE 3D shoots at my club has been shooting for 4 months. I didn't see any beginners in the county golf tournament, last year, though.

And....I'm sure you CAN chip from within 20yds. So can my wife (and she's never played, either). That's a FAR CRY from "playing golf", though (which has its' own challenges).

jeff
Old 03-14-2006, 09:41 AM

Have I mentioned lately that it feels good to not be involved in discussions such as these. Glad somebody else is carrying the torch. I worry about every little detail on my equipment no matter what I do…WHY? Because I see the positive results and I like knowing that all the responsibility is on my shoulders when the time comes. With all the free time I have in the off-season, I don’t see why I shouldn’t take the time to worry about or learn about the details the effect accuracy. I find it very interesting to try and figure all this stuff out.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

Geesh, I am sorry I posted on this thread. I almost posted again much earlier to say that buckeyebuckhtnr made a very good point, but I was too late.

I hastily made it sound as though I meant having your hunting bow not sighted in and tuned well was not important. I didn't mean that at all. What I truly did mean that when hunting using the level on a sight in the actual situation is not that necessary. Probably sticking my foot in my mouth again but I never look at or notice my level when taking a shot at a deer. In fact I removed my level on my last sight AFTER sighting it in and tuning my bow the best I could before hunting. I do believe using it to help achieve good form and good practice is benificial, and of course I don't think anyone wants to use a cockeyed sight. You see I am somewhat of a canter too, and most new sight designs do not allow EACH pin to be individually positioned left or right. The older sights allowed for that and for longer distances a pin could be moved farther in to compensate for cant. I don't cant as bad as I used too.........you really can't cant when all your pins are moved together left/right by making an adjustment.

Personally, I am working on the canting. I have achieved much better form by simply finding a consistent anchor using my nose as a reference point as well. I completely understand SBGobblers posts. In hunting situations, many times a shot cannot be taken while the bow is vertically straight up and down. Practice and consistency is the key along with knowing your own limits in hunting situations. In fact my best shot while hunting was at a 9 pt. buck while stretching around the tree at 37 yards(he was almost behind me)....perfect double lunger. I don't quite remember if I was holding perfectly vertical or not, but I remember being relaxed and holding my 30 yard pin slightly higher on his chest and had a very good release.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Cougarmag....

That was well said.

Jeff
Old 03-14-2006, 01:17 PM

hey coug, i used to think i canted bad also. when i stopped leveling the sight off my string i realized i really didn't

and you know, sometimes its useless to try and help a beginner who knows everything already.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:31 PM

I never really thought about the level much before this thread...but I will when I get home this evening and shoot my bow. I currently have a C-peep on my bow, I went to it after I couldn't keep my fletcher aligned. I bout my Outback before last season and didn't want to buy a new string. I felt I shot better with the fletcher peep than I do with the C-peep but it kept twisitng and I didn't want that to happen with a deer in my sights. I'm planning on ordering a set of cables/string from you Gibblet maybe this friday, and I'm going back to a peep without the tubing, then I'm gonna shoot like crazy untill I can bust nocks at 40 yards Hopefully.I don't feel that I'm a beginner in archery but I am definitely not an expert shooter and am always willing to listen and improve. What was that peep you were talking about the other day in the tech forum Gibblet? What do you thing about the peeps from G5?
Old 03-14-2006, 02:09 PM

I found the post and saw the peep you were referring to Gibblet.

Quick Reply: spot-hogg and sword sights

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.