Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 spot-hogg and sword sights >

spot-hogg and sword sights

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

spot-hogg and sword sights

Old 03-13-2006, 03:12 PM

Default RE: spot-hogg and sword sights

dammit that makes sense too
Old 03-13-2006, 03:19 PM
Dominant Buck

Let's look at it another way......

I don't hold much merit in the guy that has perfect form ....standing on flat ground.....with a plumb bow (thank you).....and a sight that's precision-tuned on EVERY axis......

.....being ANY more qualified than a man that's practiced the "over the right shoulder...from a sitting position" shot from a platform @ 20 feet.

The man is trying to tell you that he's a hunter.....and that perfect form/tuning isn't always required.....and isn't always available....and isn't, for practical matters, ACHIEVABLE. That's all he was saying......

Look at it this way (to keep using my golf analogy).....

A guy practices his golf swing .....every day at the range....and achieves 100% PERFECT form. His pre-shot routine is flawless. His mental images are pure. He goes to the course for his first round of golf.....stands on the first tee......and drives the ball PERFECTLY.....right down the middle. When he reaches his ball....he find that his ball has now rolled into a divot.

Guess what???????

Jeff
Old 03-13-2006, 07:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Look at it this way (to keep using my golf analogy).....

A guy practices his golf swing .....every day at the range....and achieves 100% PERFECT form. His pre-shot routine is flawless. His mental images are pure. He goes to the course for his first round of golf.....stands on the first tee......and drives the ball PERFECTLY.....right down the middle. When he reaches his ball....he find that his ball has now rolled into a divot.

Guess what???????
I'm not picking up your analogy here......

The man is trying to tell you that he's a hunter.....and that perfect form/tuning isn't always required.....and isn't always available....and isn't, for practical matters, ACHIEVABLE. That's all he was saying......
I have read enough of coug's posts over the years to know the man pays attention to the details and makes informed decisionswith his hunting equipment. I was merely pointing out my experiences.

I don't hold much merit in the guy that has perfect form ....standing on flat ground.....with a plumb bow (thank you).....and a sight that's precision-tuned on EVERY axis......

.....being ANY more qualified than a man that's practiced the "over the right shoulder...from a sitting position" shot from a platform @ 20 feet.
Seems you have been to very few 3D venues from your description of "perfect form".

Let me ask this...... From your PGA days did you compete with over the counter Walmart / Dick's clubs ordid you usecustomized specialty clubs?

How is this (a finely tuned club) any different then a finely tuned sight?
Old 03-13-2006, 07:47 PM

this has gone too far... hahah
Old 03-14-2006, 04:16 AM
Dominant Buck

The "analogy" was/is.....

You can practice all you want to...even paractice perfectly ......but: 1) there's NO substitute for actually DOING it. 2) There are situations that arise ....that can't be re-enacted in "practice".

We used tocall the guys with perfect swings the"range pros".I'm sorry you don't see the analogy, but all the practice in the world......in perfect situations.....can't prepare a person for the real thing. That's where "experience" kicks in. Their perfectswings weren't always conducive to scoring, thoughon the golf course. See?

And yes......I had the very best equipment available when I competed. I also knew guys who had FAR less sophisticated equipment that could hand me my axx on the course. They PLAYED a LOT! See?

I see your point and concede that having good equipment is important. Paramount? Nope.

Again....I'm not arguing....just offering a different view.

Jeff

Old 03-14-2006, 05:16 AM

its even more important in a hunting situation than on flat ground, and that's where your analogy goes astray. if you've got a twisting and angling shot, its even more important to have correct references on your bow and sight. with the situation you're bringing up, we're talking about 3-4" difference at 20 yards because of torque induced by your bow hand. its why i don't shoot a peep on my hunting bow, but a no-peep or anchor sight that instantly tells you if you're torquing.

if it wasn't important, and a necessary thing, competition shooters wouldn't use them.

i'd rather have a torque indicator on my hunting bow than 2nd and 3rd axis adjustments if i had to choose, but luckily i don't.

on my 3d bow there is no way on earth i would ever knowingly buy a sight without these adjustments.

i wouldn't buy a sight for my hunting bow without them either, but i could get away with it, but why? i'm shooting at a living creature i respect and i'm not aiming at a pie plate, i'm aiming at a hair.

you've got about 10 million times more room for error in golf than you do in archery. we're not hitting fairways, and i certainly hope you're not trying to tell people these adjustments don't matter in archery.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Well....now you're putting words in my mouth. This is my last post. You can win.

I'm saying...as was someone else....that the "hunter" can be DEADLY prolific with his tools/weapon (as was/is the competent golfer).....and not give a FLIP about the things you've mentioned.

I'll get out of here and let others speak if they want to.....but I challenge you to do the following:

Put up a post and ask ....."Do you think about 2nd and 3rd axis sight adjustments when drawing down on a deer"?

That ought to be interesting.

What about a man that shoots a long bow......with no sights? How does he practice perfectly? Are these issues important to him?

I heard someone saying a while back that there was an archer in Vegas that shot some INCREDIBLE scores in a national shoot. When they paper tuned his bow....it was WAY off (not that I'm endorsing paper tuning as a 'proven' method, or anything). BUT.....he ran the table on 'em with that bow. He'd practiced with it.....and he was perfect with it. I wonder if his second and third axis adjustments were correct? What difference did it make?

I've already conceded that in a perfect world....everyone would have perfect form and utilize perfect equipment. Isn't it "possible", though....that a hunter could become a PROLIFIC predator utilizing equipment that may or may not be in perfect tune (or even be CAPABLE of it)?

Let's be real. You know it is....

I'm done.

Jeff

Old 03-14-2006, 06:50 AM
Dominant Buck

you've got about 10 million times more room for error in golf than you do in archery. we're not hitting fairways, and i certainly hope you're not trying to tell people these adjustments don't matter in archery.
I couldn't help myself......

Your quote above is ludicrous. You admittedly have NEVER played golf....yet you feel qualified to make such a statement.

I played golf, professionally, for a few years. I was a college athlete....and I've always had pretty good coordination/hand-eye abilities. It took me YEARS to get to get to a level of play in golf that I would even consider....."adequate". Yet....I was shooting pretty good groups with my switchback the day I bought it. Don't fool yourself.....technology is amazing.

In golf.....Lee Trevino once said...."It ain't the arrows, boys, it's the Indian". In archery.....it may not be the arrows, either. I give a LOT of credit to the BOW!

Now I'm outta here.

Jeff
Old 03-14-2006, 07:07 AM

you sound like the perfect customer for a high priced 3d sight with no 2nd axis adjustment, and spokesperson as well, but you won't convince any of us who know thedifference.

Old 03-14-2006, 07:16 AM

What about people who cant their bows?

Quick Reply: spot-hogg and sword sights

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.