Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Nugent

Old 02-24-2006, 09:37 AM

Default RE: Nugent

Jesse Ventura was a former Navy SEAL (an officer), and had a Master's Degree. SEALs are not only selected for their courage and fighting ability, but also for their ability to make life-or-death decisions under fire.Now, for the record, I like Ted Nugent. I thinks he's an incredible guitarist, an experienced outdoorsman and hunter, and probably a fine human being. But to compare a highly educated, formerNavy SEAL to a middle-aged rocker...well...
I do not doubt Jesse Ventura is a very intelligent man and a brave soldier, but I doubt those things got him elected into office. His name and his star power were probably the greatest contributing factor to being elected. My point was that Nugent would have the same chances of getting elected based on his name and star power. Politics is basically alarge popularity contest, many times your nameand public speaking abilityalone can get you elected to office. I used Ventura as an example of this, but the same can be said for a lot ofpoliticians that were famous before getting elected to office.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:18 PM

Well, Richard Petty made a bid for Governor of North Carolina when I first moved here, and it went nowhere, even after his much-publicized "bumping" of some "roadhog" on the highway, which endeared him to anyonewho hasever gotten behind one (including this former Upstate New Yorker)! If the King (with his 200 NASCARwins)couldn't get in office in NC, then apparently you need more than star power!
Of course Jesse did have that feather boa...!
Old 02-24-2006, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

i did not know that yankee and where were you from before you moved to nc i have never met a nc yankee
Old 02-24-2006, 09:16 PM

i remember seeing him interviewed on one of those political shows a month or so ago, don't remember the details of what they were discussing as far as what he was running for.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

dont even want in on the gripes.... but id have to know more on his policies , then i could totally seal it!
Old 02-25-2006, 04:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am in the middle of his book "God,Guns and Rock and Roll" I think it is great I would vote for him for sure. Send him my way to NY.
Old 02-25-2006, 06:05 AM

New York...I bet he'd have a riot antagonizing Hillary!
Old 02-25-2006, 06:24 AM

I think it may be within the NRA.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

I do not doubt Jesse Ventura is a very intelligent man and a brave soldier, but I doubt those things got him elected into office. His name and his star power were probably the greatest contributing factor to being elected.
Actually your wrong it, Jesse didn't get much attention until

MINNESOTA MADE Ventura's race possible because it provides matching funds for candidates who get more than 5% of the vote. Because Ventura was getting much more than that in the polls, he was able to get a bank to loan him $300,000 so he could run TV ads in the last two weeks of the campaign. Ventura hired Bill Hillsman, who created the humorous and highly effective ads that helped U.S. Sen. Paul Wellstone upset Rudy Boschwitz in 1990.

One of Ventura's ads showed two kids playing with the "Jesse Ventura action figure" who battles with the "special interest" man. In another ad Ventura wore nothing but boxer shorts, sitting in the position of Rodin's "Thinker," while the narrator talks about Jesse "The Mind" Ventura's positions. It ends with a close-up of Jesse's face as he winks at the camera.

State laws also limited the major party candidates to expenditures of $2 million each, so they could not drown out Ventura's ads (although their parties and allied political action committees were able to spend more). Ventura spent an estimated $500,000.
This was his platform:

Ventura ran as someone who was not a career politician, who spoke the language of working folks and would say whatever was on his mind. A vote for Jesse was a poke in the eye and a chair over the head of the establishment while the referee wasn't looking.

Ventura's positions may be described as fiscally conservative and socially liberal with a libertarian streak. He's pro-choice on abortion and supports domestic partnership benefits for gay couples. He's open to the legalization of drugs and prostitution. But he's no progressive. He attacks "big government," and calls for unspecified tax cuts to refund all budget surplus to the taxpayers. He claims that class sizes can be reduced without providing any additional money to schools through "more efficient use of funds." His popularity among college students came despite his opposition to state aid for college students (he says they should work their way through college). He also opposes state subsidies for day care and "socialized medicine."