Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 making your own stand >

making your own stand

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

making your own stand

Old 02-14-2006, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: making your own stand

I have seen boat seats bolted on them with a steel plate under
them. Seemed safe to me and comfortable.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:43 AM

I made a stand a few years back. I found a nice spot to hunt, so then I walked around that area trying to find 3 trees in a triangle shape withen 3-4 feet of each other. I found a group of trees like that, so I hammered some 2x4's into the treetrunk, then I wedged plywood in between the 3 trees and hammered it in about 14 feet up. Two of the trunks are behind me and one is right in my front view. Thats what I dont like about it. It has great views on either side of it though. I cut a little hatch in the bottom of it so when you climb the tree, you remove the door to get up in it. And then I put some boards on each side for arm rests and to rest my gun/bow across. For a seat I just threw a plastic lawn chair up there, I bungee it to the tree when I leave. Its really sturdy. I trust it. Others might not. I check it thoroughly every year before I use it. Heres en example of what it looks like.

Old 02-14-2006, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not worth the risk . Man some of the stuff I see on public land where I hunt ,one stand we call the "billy bob" stand is a car seat straped to a 12 foot lader . Remember I live less than 100 miles from Larry the cabel guys home
Old 02-14-2006, 11:59 AM
Fork Horn

Treestandee: This looks pretty good - but what happens as the trees grow?

IM jaybe

Old 02-14-2006, 04:21 PM

ORIGINAL: jaybe

Treestandee: This looks pretty good - but what happens as the trees grow?

IM jaybe
haha, then its time to abandon that stand. I find thatother hunters use it throughout the the years. They leave carvings and weird stuff. But the good thingabout it is thatnobodywill want to take my stand, because after all, its just some wood. Its not worth anything.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I made a semi-portable stand out of wood. The legs are oak and it is held to the tree with a 4500 lb ratchet strap. It can be moved with two people or a 4 wheeler. It's big enough for two people to sit side-by-side. I still wear a safety harness but I would put it up against any climber I own. I'm gonna put some wheelbarrow wheels on it so I can tow it around the property when I need to.