Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 relocating ladder stands >

relocating ladder stands

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

relocating ladder stands

Old 02-08-2006, 09:07 PM

Default relocating ladder stands

I use 16' ladder stands to hunt whitetails.
Can I move a stand to a new location during the season, or will it spook deer that might be using that trail?
Old 02-08-2006, 09:33 PM

Default RE: relocating ladder stands

That's one of the many keys to success...getting your stands in the right spots. You may notice that after originally placing a stand that you have a better chance in a different location, so by all means...move the stand! Most people will prolly tell you to leave the area alone for a few days afterwards--and always make sure to use the wind to your advantage!
Old 02-09-2006, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a ladder stand that I made out of treated lumber. It's semi-portable meaning I can move it with moderate effort. It cost almost nothing to make (got most of the lumber from construction dumpsters). I moved it twice last year to catch up with new travel routes and continued to kill deer from it. The deer don't seem to pay it too much attention after 2-3 days in its new spot.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:46 AM
Fork Horn

I agree if you are needing to catch up on some new travel routes then go ahead. I moved my 16ft ladder stand this year during season and still killed deerand saw plenty of deer and turkey around it.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:48 AM

I try not to move them once there in place, if i find another good area that i think my worth hunting i use my climber or put up a permenant stand there pretty cheap u can pick them up for 40$ or so lock 6$ incase your worried , ill tell you there are alot of good deals at dicks or wallworld
Old 02-09-2006, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you have to move a stand, move it. Even if you have to wait a day or two before you hunt it agian, it will be worth it when you setup on a nice buck perfectly instead of sketchy.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:13 AM

If you can move the stand mid-day without working up a sweat, stinking up the area and making a mess of the place, there's no reason you can't hunt it that evening.

All that sort of depends largely on what sort of a ladder stand it is and how difficult it is to set up and where you'll be moving it to of course.

It also depends upon the area too of course. If you're moving into a bedding area for example and the deer are basically watching you work, then they prolly won't visit too soon.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:49 AM

Well i was watching a certin buck for a few days and then i knew i had to move on him, i moved my stand, and the next day i put an arrow through him.