Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shed Hunting Question >

Shed Hunting Question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shed Hunting Question

Old 02-01-2006, 06:53 PM

Default RE: Shed Hunting Question

Ya I went out yesterday didnt find anything. And I wont give up....
Old 02-01-2006, 07:01 PM
emo

I'm trying to teach my dog to find them for me. You know throwing a half and saying {fetch]. No luck. www.lazyshuntclub.org
Old 02-02-2006, 10:08 PM

Keep at it ducsauce....whitetail would lose 'em in space if they could.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Winter wheat fields are a good place to check
Old 02-02-2006, 11:53 PM

thanks for all the help!
Old 02-03-2006, 12:43 AM
Typical Buck

Big Hardwoods are hard to shed hunt unless you know bucks' travel routes. Good places to shed hunt are small hardwood tracts that are very open (not much ground cover), brushy draws/creeks, grassy fields (if the grass is not excessively thick), thickets...ones that don't have much ground cover and require the maximum of a person/deer to be about 3ft tall (I'm about 6'4" and have nightmares about places like this because of all the knee crawling and ducking I have to do) but if you take it slow you WILL find sheds in places like this. I also ALWAYS carry binos with me....on foot and in a vehicle. Binos serve well in vehicle when driving by winter wheat fields and you see something peculiar OR when you're on foot and see something in the woods or in a field, etc, etc. IF you have access to places around where you hunt or live I suggest driving around every night looking for deer. Look for bucks with 1 side, both sides, or ones that have shed (you'll know it by looking at their heads to see if they have bare pedicals showing). Get a feel for where they're traveling/going/feeding. Hit those spots....especially if you've seen a certain buck in a certain field and then see him with only 1 side the next night...then hit the place(s) you think or have seen him going to. This might be a lot of info at once but read it, study it and the deer, and go find some sheds! Good luck!
Old 02-03-2006, 05:06 AM
Fork Horn

Here in the midwest "Missouri", I find most sheds on the green fields, wheat or food plots or cut corn. Bucks will spar on the food source and lose antlers there. I have also found alot of sheds walking the fences, when a buck jumps the fence sometimes when he lands he will jar both off right there. I checked my camera's and had 8 bucks all with both sides so I'm going to wait a while longer before looking.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:44 AM
Typical Buck

For what it is worth, I had a picture on my trail cam from about 10 days ago that should a decent buck with only 1/2 a rack and other deer that could be bucks w/ no antlers. I also had several deer w/ both sides, but it does sound like it is time to start looking. I did find a shed on 12/26/04. That was extremely early and I wasn't looking for any at the time. I would say the best hunting should be in a couple of weeks.