Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 prefered draw weight for elk hunting? please help. >

prefered draw weight for elk hunting? please help.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

prefered draw weight for elk hunting? please help.

Old 01-31-2006, 07:38 PM

Default prefered draw weight for elk hunting? please help.

hello,

if u all dont know, Im a female and currently pulling 45lbs. Im trying to get to at least 50lbs even though thats about half my weight. Im wanting to go elk hunting, but witha bow....i think it would be more exciting than going with a rifle. I know SHOT PLACEMENT is the big thing, but if I had a bull within 20 yards broadside and made an excellent shot I would want it to do die, not just get wounded because I don't reach the draw weight. What is suggested? I have heard of women taking down elk at 20 yards with 100 grain broadheads with a draw weight of 48. But is that a myth?

Thanks!
Melissa
Old 01-31-2006, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: prefered draw weight for elk hunting? please help.

I might be wrong, but I believe I have read that with large elk size game 55 ft. lbs. of kinetic energy or moreis recommended. You can figure out your KE by this formula: velocity x velocity x arrow weight Divided by 450,240.

To find out your velocity you have to have your bow chronographed at a proshop.

Shane
Old 01-31-2006, 08:38 PM

two years ago the guide we had on our bull elk hunt up north said a min of 55lbs of K.E.is what they recommend.that is good for a 30 yard shot. my bow was set at 60 lbs and i had a good lung shot@ 28 yardsdroped him in less then 60 yards from every thing i have read 25 lbs of K.E. for small game 25 - 42 ft lbs for deer and like sized game and for elk bear and other bigger game 42- 64 ft lbs of K.E.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check the state you are going to, they will probably have a minimum draw weight, if you are over that and you can hit what you shoot at, you will be fine.

My wife went with a 45lb Thunderbolt, shooting 400 grain arrows, with 100 grain 2 blade cut on contact BH. The outfitter had no problem with this. Though she never got a shot, we had total faith that it would do the job.

MANY MANY MANY elk are taken with both lower draw weight bows and with traditional bows. The keys are:

1) Be able to hit what you shoot at, shot placement is key, stay off that shoulder and punch it through the lungs/ribs and he will go down quickly.

2) At lower weights, get a cut on contact BH, my wife was using Stingers.

3) Sacrifice some arrow speed for weight. KE is great, but it is not a penetration predicter. Momentum is they key. KE and M are tied together since they both use speed as one of the variables, but you want a heavier arrow to keep its forward momentum moving. Idaho (where we hunted) has a 40lb min with a 400 grain arrow.

Old 02-02-2006, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

2 blade cut on contacts , should be you choice of broadhead as stated abouve .
Old 02-02-2006, 09:03 AM

Oh nooooooooo, I can hear Arthur walking this direction tostate that he can do it with 45 ft pounds of KE from his recurve. Come on Arthur lets hear it.[:'(]FeeeeFiiiiiiFoeeeeeFummmm!!!
Old 02-02-2006, 10:46 AM

I would say anything above a 50 pound draw wieght would be good. I dont think that some of those people shooting 90 pounds really need it expesially since you can get fast velocities at low poundage.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:27 AM

FIRST! Check the regs in the state you are going to. Here in Wyoming, 50 pounds is minimum.So 45# would be illegal.
I do agree that the 2 blade Broadhead is a great idea. I myself (65 pound Reflex Super Slam) am going to them this fall.
Any chance you could use a crossbow? Same hunting excitement, with less "pull" on a small frame.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:30 AM

FIRST!!!!!! Make sure and check the regs in the state you are going to hunt in. Here in Wyoming, 50 pounds is the legal minimum.
I agree on using a 2 blade broadhead like the Magnus Stinger. I'm going to get some before this fall as well. Stay away from any mechanicals for low poundage and an animal of that size (a horse!).
And bring somebody along that can help carry the beast out for you! (lol)
Any chance you could use a crossbow?
Old 02-02-2006, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Come on Arthur lets hear it. FeeeeFiiiiiiFoeeeeeFummmm!!!

Now thats just funny , I don't care who you are , thats funny