Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Broadhead targets >

Broadhead targets

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadhead targets

Old 01-25-2006, 08:22 PM

Default Broadhead targets

I see a lot of you like the yellow jacket target. I'm new to the sport and I was wondering if you use the same broadheads for hunting after you use them for target practice or do you just practice with them and then use new ones to hunt?
Old 01-25-2006, 08:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Broadhead targets

Never use target broadheads for hunting unless you 1. replace the blades, or 2. sharpen them.

I use the one shot rule: Once a broadhead is shot, it's not adequate for hunting unless the blades have been replaced.

I always shoot each and every broadhead I intend to hunt with but I keep dull blades around, use them and then put the original blades back in for hunting purposes.

A broadhead target will and does dull the blades and I hope no one here hunts with them after shooting them.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:11 PM

Amen!
Old 01-25-2006, 09:16 PM

I personally shoot Thunderheads so I dont know if this works with other heads or not, but all through the summer I shoot my thunderheads with the blades off, so just the ferrule. This saves big time on target wear and tear. Then about a week or two before season I put in some blades just to make sure everything is shooting fine andputting the blades in has never changes the flight for me.Then before hunting I put a little edge back onto the tip of the thunderhead and drop in brand new blades. Agreed, I never shoot a dull blade, and I never resharpern, once a new blade is shot, I never use it to shoot a deer. I just dont feel I cant get then as razor sharp as they come out of the box.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:50 PM
Site Bouncer

Since I switched to the G5 Montec's I use their practice blades.

You don't have to use the practice blades though. You can shoot the hunting broadheads and just re-sharpen them before you hunt. After shooting a deerI just re-sharpen the broadhead and put it back into my quiver.I used the same two broadheads all year, shot six deer.