Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Best packable blind? >

Best packable blind?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Best packable blind?

Old 01-26-2006, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best packable blind?

I have an Ameristep Doghouse. It folds up to about a 24" diameter circle, fits into its backback, and weighs about 14 lbs. It can pop up and take down in about 10 seconds. You can now get them with Scent Control.

I am kinda curious to why people don't like the metal loop blinds. The hub style acts more like an umbrella. They are nice, but pricey, and they weigh more. So why not metal loop blind?????
Old 01-26-2006, 09:46 AM

It might be that, like me, some people just can't get the knack for folding them up. Just when I think I have my kids play hut figured out, I forget what I did!
Old 01-26-2006, 11:49 AM
Dominant Buck

The best packable blind isa limb saw, some clippers, a couple pieces of twine, an imagination and use of the terrain. It really gets NO better or easier. If you're especially clutzy, maybe a folding seat. I also have a camo umbrealla that folds up to about 6 inches long and screws into your stablizer hole.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:02 PM

Not sure I'd agree with the no easier part. I've done then natural ground blind thing and although I think it works, I feel much more on guard and on edge during the whole experience.

Anywhoo, being almost entirely concealed in a portable blind makes me more confident when drawing and aiming at the deer as well. I'm not worried the slightest movement will spook them.

To each their own, though.

In terms of folding up the hoop blinds, it can be a challenge at first. My father-in-law watched me try and do it at least a dozen times before I got the hang of it. We were both in tears laughing as after each failed attempt the blind sprang back to life.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Ameristep Brickhouse has been excellent for me. It has plenty of room for me and my daughter even with a bow. Great in all weather and does not move in the wind.
It is a hub style blind and weighs around 14 lbs. It is easy up and easy down. Maybe 30 seconds. $129.
I have had the doghouse blind it is also a nice blind with good room. Not as stable in the weather as the brickhouse but a little lighter arond $79.
I have also had the outhouse. Do not buy this blind for archery. Too small for 1 person with a bow no less bringing someone with you. Around $49
Old 01-26-2006, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

As stated by others the hoop style blinds are a pain to fold back up. The other down side is that they are not nearly as tight when popped up so you can get a good bit of wind flap which I can tell you from experence the deer will not tolerate. I'm not sure about the other hoop style blinds but my Buddy has an Ameristep Roundhouse 360 which is a big blind. It is a metal hoop style and he has to put 3 fiberglass shock corded poles inside it like you would a tent and it's still not as tight and stable as my Brickhouse or especially my Double Bull.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:01 PM
Typical Buck

I have 4 hoop type & one hub. The hub's never been hunting yet mostly because I'm accustomed to the others. Once you get the hang of it theyre a simple thing to fold up.
I have 2 dog house blinds, 1 Yukon tracks commander which is similar to the dog house but much bigger & a hunters view lodge, again like a dog house but much bigger, 7'X7' if I remember right. I took 2 deer from the yukon tracks blind tonight after work & coulda shot at least one more. If you let the blind sit awhile so the deer get used to it & they dont smell you they dont realize whats going on when their buddy runs off & drops.
I hunt from tree stands too but more & more I like the pop up blinds.
In my experience the deer couldn't care less about them as long as they dont see you coming & going or smell you.
Maybe I'm missing something but I cant make myself pay a couple hundred for a good hub type when every one I have cost less than a hundred delivered.
Someone mentioned an outhouse blind. I have one of those too. It was my first attempt at a pop up & its way too small for me to bowhunt from. It can come in handy as it can be unzipped & opened to make a sort of 3 sided blind. I'v set it up against a ledge like that before & felt it would have worked if a deer woulda come by but it wouldn't be something I bought had I known what I know now. Might be frine with a gun tho.
Old 01-28-2006, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Eastman Outfitters Carbon Express..... love it