Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
What scent do you swear by? >

What scent do you swear by?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What scent do you swear by?

Old 10-18-2002, 06:10 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-18-2002, 08:50 PM

Default RE: What scent do you swear by?

Cardeer,

I know as I write this you are snoozing away nursing the sore ribs and knot on the head. However the big un you took (was it 170 B&C?) qualifies you as either an expert or darn lucky with or without your talisman.

Now having said that I want what restaurant did you get the cheeseburger from? If it was Micky D's or Burger K then we now know the secret of your necklace?

Seriously in terms of the scent here is the secret. Do like the dogs and cats do. Walk across a cow pasture and roll in the piles or find some roll kill and put it in the bag with your hunting clothes. Your scent will not be a problem.
Old 10-18-2002, 08:56 PM

Code Blue from Knight and Hale. I use the doe estrous and have Killed three deer in all three years with this product.
Old 10-18-2002, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't use deer scents anymore, they've done more harm than good. But for cover scents... Fresh Earth Spray and Wafers works awesome, it's a great way to get around the scent problem. I'm a very cautious person when it comes to human scent. I know some people say human odor, or urine can be good at times. Must be a different breed than the deer here in N-C Kansas.
Visit My Hunting Page
Old 10-18-2002, 10:29 PM

no scent is the best.....but Wildlife research has a new scent called excite. It's thick like honey....not a gel...sort of syrup like. It's pungent and it brought a big buck in tonight be he came in slow and smelled me because my camo was not clean. Don't wear your camo too many times without washing it in hunting detergent and wash your body and hair with hunting shampoo....otherwise you better have the wind in your favor.
Old 10-19-2002, 05:18 AM

Bowhunters setup by scrape juice works for me killed 3 deer this year while they were liking it watched one come in from 300 yards away accross an open field this stuff is unbelievable I have deer smelling and licking this stuff under me every time I use it.
Old 10-19-2002, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

After field testing numerous scents over the last 15 years, I've come to the conclusion that most reputable companies have scents that will work. Thee key is to use the right scent at the right time. And use FRESH scents, not year old stuff.
I use Wildlife Research Center/Scent Killer, Robinson Labs/Scent Shield, James Valley, Lee's, and Mrs' Doe Pee, whatever they send me to field test I try.

Here a few tips from one of my books.

T.R.'s Tips: Right Scent, Right Time
Fall is when deer search out quality food sources to put on enough fat to get them through the winter. It is also the breeding season. These are the two driving forces that stimulate deer in the fall. All deer travel more at this time in search of food. Bucks travel much more than normal while establishing dominance and trying to locate does. The different phases of the rut also signal increases and decreases in sexual interest. Remember that Territorial/Dominance Scents may scare off subdominant bucks, especially during the scraping and breeding phases, when the dominant bucks are aggressive. If you are looking for any buck you may not want to use these scents.

Pre-Rut/Rubbing Phase
Bucks are looking for food and starting to become interested in breeding. You can use Recognition/Trailing, Sex, Territorial/Dominance, Food and Curiosity scents.

Early Breeding/Scraping Phase
Bucks are proclaiming dominance by establishing rubs and scrapes, and are looking for estrus does. You can use Recognition/Trailing, Sex, Territorial/Dominance, Food and Curiosity scents.

Primary Breeding and Post Primary Breeding Phase
Bucks are looking for does and protecting their breeding rights. Scraping may begin to increase again after most of does have been bred. Territorial/Dominance and Sex scents are most effective at this time.

Rest Phase
By this time the bucks are not as willing to fight but are still interested in breeding. They rest and eat. Sex scents are still effective. Some bucks may respond to Curiosity scents, while Food scents may work best.

Pre-Late Breeding and Late Breeding Phase
After recuperating from the rut bucks look for does that come into a late estrous. There may be renewed scrape activity at this time. Bucks respond to Sex, Curiosity and Food scents.

Post Rut Phase
Because the rut is over bucks are not aggressive and often travel together to feeding areas. Though most of the does have been bred bucks still respond to estrus scents. Curiosity and Food scents may work near core areas, buck feeding sites, and travel lanes between the them.

Hope that helps.

Got more questions about deer, elk, turkey, ducks or geese, I'll try to answer. Post a new topic here addressed to T.R., or e-mail me.

T.R. Michels
[email protected]

T.R. Michels
Old 10-19-2002, 09:28 AM
Fork Horn

After field testing numerous scents over the last 15 years, I've come to the conclusion that most reputable companies have scents that will work. Thee key is to use the right scent at the right time. And use FRESH scents, not year old stuff.
I use Wildlife Research Center/Scent Killer, Robinson Labs/Scent Shield, James Valley, Lee's, and Mrs' Doe Pee, whatever they send me to field test I try.

Here a few tips from one of my books.

T.R.'s Tips: Right Scent, Right Time
Fall is when deer search out quality food sources to put on enough fat to get them through the winter. It is also the breeding season. These are the two driving forces that stimulate deer in the fall. All deer travel more at this time in search of food. Bucks travel much more than normal while establishing dominance and trying to locate does. The different phases of the rut also signal increases and decreases in sexual interest. Remember that Territorial/Dominance Scents may scare off subdominant bucks, especially during the scraping and breeding phases, when the dominant bucks are aggressive. If you are looking for any buck you may not want to use these scents.

Pre-Rut/Rubbing Phase
Bucks are looking for food and starting to become interested in breeding. You can use Recognition/Trailing, Sex, Territorial/Dominance, Food and Curiosity scents.

Early Breeding/Scraping Phase
Bucks are proclaiming dominance by establishing rubs and scrapes, and are looking for estrus does. You can use Recognition/Trailing, Sex, Territorial/Dominance, Food and Curiosity scents.

Primary Breeding and Post Primary Breeding Phase
Bucks are looking for does and protecting their breeding rights. Scraping may begin to increase again after most of does have been bred. Territorial/Dominance and Sex scents are most effective at this time.

Rest Phase
By this time the bucks are not as willing to fight but are still interested in breeding. They rest and eat. Sex scents are still effective. Some bucks may respond to Curiosity scents, while Food scents may work best.

Pre-Late Breeding and Late Breeding Phase
After recuperating from the rut bucks look for does that come into a late estrous. There may be renewed scrape activity at this time. Bucks respond to Sex, Curiosity and Food scents.

Post Rut Phase
Because the rut is over bucks are not aggressive and often travel together to feeding areas. Though most of the does have been bred bucks still respond to estrus scents. Curiosity and Food scents may work near core areas, buck feeding sites, and travel lanes between the them.

Hope that helps.

Got more questions about deer, elk, turkey, ducks or geese, I'll try to answer. Post a new topic here addressed to T.R., or e-mail me.

T.R. Michels
[email protected]

T.R. Michels
Old 10-20-2002, 02:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Call me old fashioned! The best scent is NO SCENT! Especially if your hunting mature bucks.
Worry more about stand placement and eliminating your own scent.

"Nocked,cocked & ready to rock"
Old 10-20-2002, 09:30 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: What scent do you swear by?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.