Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is this a Black Coyote >

Is this a Black Coyote

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is this a Black Coyote

Old 01-23-2006, 07:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Is this a Black Coyote

coydogs aren't as common as many think.Looks like a yote to me.

So why aren't coydogs more common in rural areas? Actually, the issue is not as puzzling as it first appears. The reason there is little evidence of coyotes mating with dogs in the wild is simply because social habits and statistics makes the opportunity and probability of mating quite low indeed.

The coyote social structure is somewhat different from the domestic canine, and, quite frankly, coyotes would rather eat a dog than befriend one. Coyotes also have very different breeding cycles and mating behaviors. It is believed the male coyote sperm count remains low or dormant for most of the year and only picks up for about 60 days in the spring in conjunction with the female coyotes once a year heat cycle. Coyote males usually stick with one female through the breeding season as well, even assisting in feeding and raising the puppies. Some researchers believe they mate for life. Others believe only the alpha male gets to breed. So you see, and this is just my individual theory, it's simply a numbers game. For a coyote and a dog to mate, the choice of female coyotes would have to be so low that the male would not have a "girlfriend" to start with, then, he would have to meet a female dog (too large to eat), who just happened to be in heat within the same two month period that he was producing sperm. The above scenario is not impossible, just a rarity, statistically speaking
Old 01-23-2006, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: game4lunch

First of all, I'd say that both pictures are of the same animal.
I am comparing the white tail head to the "dog" in the first pic. If the white tail measures 12" from snout to a line between the ears ( an estimate, but a barometer anyway), then the dog is a little over 2 feet tall at the shoulders. Wolves average anout 36" at the shoulders. Much larger.
Not a wolf, but some kind of dog/husky type mix. Also, and maybe more importantly, wolves do not eat carrion. They will if starving (hell, they'll eat their young!), but much prefer fresh kill for a meal.
I agree . . . trap it.
I honestly don't know what that animal is, so I won't venture a guess. I just wanted to post in reply to game4lunch because I love the way he backed up his responce. Instead of just stating what he thought, he gave clear and concise details to back up his point giving his stance a better platform. WELL DONE!!!
Old 01-23-2006, 08:35 AM

I vote Mt. lion or bobcat..... I'd say coyote for sure, I have seen black ones here in NC. Too small for wolf. Could be some sort of stray or cross-breed too. Who knows?
Old 01-23-2006, 08:36 AM

ORIGINAL: Bionicrooster

You guys crack me up.... Wolf? In South Jersey??? Geez....

Looks like a typical old coyote to me, albiet a black one.... Awesome pics Duse, where in SJ? I have been hearing them quite a bit in zone23 this year....
THe original post didn't say the pic was from NJ did it? Also, as far as comparing sizes within the picture, you can't necessarily do that due to the unknown perspective. The deer head is in the fore-ground and may appear up to 50% larger than an item behind it of similar size.

Note the size of the animals rump compared to it's shoulder. Pretty large rump for a coyote, evan an eastern.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:48 AM

Here's a photo for comparison:

Old 01-23-2006, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: Bionicrooster

You guys crack me up.... Wolf? In South Jersey??? Geez....

Looks like a typical old coyote to me, albiet a black one.... Awesome pics Duse, where in SJ? I have been hearing them quite a bit in zone23 this year....
[/blockquote]

THe original post didn't say the pic was from NJ did it? Also, as far as comparing sizes within the picture, you can't necessarily do that due to the unknown perspective. The deer head is in the fore-ground and may appear up to 50% larger than an item behind it of similar size.

POint taken Trembow, I just got a kick out of the posters that posted after it was noted that it was in south jersey... the coyotes are spreading spreading pretty good around here so I still think thats what it is...
Old 01-23-2006, 09:27 PM

Actually, if you do a google for "black coyote" images, there are quite a few and they do look a lot like those images. I have seen black wolves, mostly on TV, but I had never seen a black coyote before.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:05 AM
Fork Horn

coyote.......
Old 01-24-2006, 05:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Looks to be a wolf if you aske me, maybe a young timber wolf.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is no coyote. May be some kind of mixed breed, but pure coyote, I don't think so.

Quick Reply: Is this a Black Coyote

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.