Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
How well do bobcats smell? >

How well do bobcats smell?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How well do bobcats smell?

Old 10-18-2002, 06:00 AM

Default How well do bobcats smell?

Do bobcats smell as well as deer? I had one come in from directly downwind last night. It walked to 5 yds from my tree, stopped and had a drink at the creek and moseyed along. It never indicated that it smelled me at all.
I ask this because I want to figure out whether the deer the night before had winded me or saw me in my ground blind. I usually don't hunt from the ground, but it was the only thing available at this spot. I stood up to stretch my legs and one of the 3 does crosswind of me(that I never knew were there) blows and takes off. They were less than 25 yds away. They circled around through the woods to another crosswind position. I stood behind some pretty thick shrubbery to prepare for the shot and they either saw me or winded me and blew again. The others that blew at me that night saw me, I'm sure, as I was walking out. I have never been blown at in my short 3 years of hunting. I am hoping that they just saw me. I am very careful of my scent, wear Scent-Pro, and do all that stuff. I am hoping that I'm not missing something.

What do you guys think?

The most important bloodtrail leads right to the foot of the cross
Old 10-18-2002, 06:42 AM

Default RE: How well do bobcats smell?

Another question along these lines-how much will a bobcat coming through my spot affect the deer? Are they as much of a threat to deer as a coyote? This bobcat came through at primetime, and I didn't see any deer after that.

The most important bloodtrail leads right to the foot of the cross
Old 10-18-2002, 09:03 AM

Bobcats dont have that good a sense of smell.They hunt more by sight.Dont know how deer react to them.
Old 10-18-2002, 09:18 AM

Personally I think neither one of them smell very good. I mean who wants to smell a bobcat?

Yes they smell very well. If they don't they don't eat.

"Size may not matter but it sho IS nice!" [/quote]