Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Bobcats

Old 02-14-2008, 08:49 PM

Default Bobcats

I moving out west and had a few questions about bobcats. We don't have any here in Indiana, so I am a beginner. How do you hunt them; trap, call them in, track them down? Also how much is the hide worth? Any other information on them would be great.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:30 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bobcats

You probably do have them around you, but you just dont know it. They are all over the states and their numbers are increasing. They are very elusive. Good luck with them.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

I trapped a few in Louisiana years ago. They are fairly easy to catch at times.If i recall, about all we did was hanga large bird wing about 2 or 3 feet over a couple of well-concealed #2 coilspring traps. They will see it fluttering in the wind and go up to check it out. Its a good set because it is also less likely to catch something like a possum or skunk.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:24 PM
Typical Buck

Yea cats are real elusive, The big thing with cats is there not usually gonna see them out in the open like coyotes. you really need some heavy cover, bird calls probebly the best. We don"t have to many in Illinois, a few along the Mis. river, and there is no season here in Ill. Shot one in 2000 out in Nebraska along the platt.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:43 PM

As far as setting up a hunt for bobcats thats going to be tough work! If you want cats trapping would be the way to go. My buddies and I will have one come in when we are calling coyotes on ocasion. Thats always a good 125$ to 150$ bonus! Keep your eyes open because they are hard to see sometimes.Most of the time when I have seen them they came from behind me. I would like to know if anyone else has this problem or not? Good luck with the cat hunting!
Old 02-17-2008, 06:39 PM
Fork Horn

get a decoy if yer gunna call em, i have seen the mojo videos and they come right to the decoy, bobcats hunt more on sight than smell and sound like coyotes do. If a cat hears something most times it will stay hidden until it sees it. For trapping them hang a pheasant wing, or anything that flutters in the wind, hang it high enough in a tree that a cat cant reach it from level ground, then make a mound under the wing so the cat has to stand on the mound to get the wing, put a #2-#4 leghold on the mound, or put 2 or 3of them there, cover them with dirt and leaves and stuff or snow,so they cant be seen, but will still go off.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

check out the mojo video

http://mojodecoys.net/MTV_critter.htm

its 40 bucks at cabellas
Old 03-10-2008, 12:40 PM

I think I am going to get some foot traps. I also want to use them for coyotes. They are wiping out my rabbit training grounds. What suggestions would you have as far as a brandthat is the best for its price?
Old 03-10-2008, 01:36 PM
Typical Buck

I also thought there were no bobcats around till this year.I was deer hunting and had one come out to with in 15 yards of me,and i let the ol 06 bark.He's at the Taxi right now.I got me a Johnny Stewart Preymaster e-caller and my first time out,i called up 2 bobcats.I have been back out 3 or 4 times since with no luck.So i think it just depends on your timing and luck.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here in California, they are around. but elusive, they are hunted for about 4-5 months out of the year. I had not seen one in awhile ( a few years) camping about a month ago, cooking breakfast, I looked across a wash maybe about 70 yards, one was just sitting there watching us...season had already closed here...he just slowly moved away.