Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I took the mathews challenge....and... >

I took the mathews challenge....and...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I took the mathews challenge....and...

Old 01-17-2006, 11:32 AM

Default I took the mathews challenge....and...

Talk about weird coincidences....

I went to the shop yesterday with the intention of dropping what I knew was too much money on a new bow. When I get there, I walk by the rack of bows first to see if they have any Trykons or Switchbacks in 28" 65# or thereabout. I see a couple, and then head to the counter. Just before the guy there asks me what I need, I notice that there on the counter is a Trykon and a Switchback XT all set up to shoot. On the limbs of the Switchback are stickers demanding "Take the Mathews challenge!!" or something like that... I thought it was funny anyhow.

I have to say that on paper and in my hand, I really thought I preferred the Trykon.

But! The draw cycle on the Trykon was terrible! Just before you get into the valley, there's this SURGE of resistance. I had felt it a week or so ago at another shop where I tried out a 70 pounder, but I thought it was perhaps just that I wasn't used to 70 pounds. It seemed even worse on the 60 pound bow! The trykon also had a bit of a metallic ping to it at the shot. Probably curable, but the Switchback didn't have ANY noise at all!

In the end, I went with the Switchback XT, a new VBG Kaz Away rest and an Alpine Soflok quiver.

Once I put the wife and kids to bed, I went out on the back deck and proceeded to silently shoot the quietest quarter sized groups I've ever seen I'm stoked!

Old 01-17-2006, 11:46 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: I took the mathews challenge....and...

I think it was PT Barnam that said it, "one born every minute".[8D][8D]
Old 01-17-2006, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got to buy another bow this year myself but I;m just not sure which one. I just got the Black Widow catolog and was thinking of testing some of there bows, but I alsolike the reviews I've heard on the swithback. I like shooting fingers as opposed to a release. Its just difficult for me to test bows being LH and archery shops not around here on every corner.

Bobby
Old 01-17-2006, 12:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I shot the Trykon and the XT when they were first released as well, and -- in my mind -- there just wasn't any comparison. The Trykon felt like a tuning fork going off, and you're exactly right about that draw cycle. On the other hand, I've read post from loyal Hoyt followers who have claimed to have experienced neither the "tinging" nor have been alarmed by that draw... To each his own, I suppose.

Congrats on your new purchase; you're gonna love it, I'm sure!
Old 01-17-2006, 12:12 PM

Bobby,
YOu're trying to decide between a black widow and a switchback? Doesn't black widow only make recurves and longbows? It just seems like a strange decision
Old 01-17-2006, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Trem, I was thinking of takeing the wheels off the switchback and shoot tradiationaly. I know its from one extreme to another but I still have my recurves also but if I do decide on a widow than I'll just keep my TRX. I've had it for 3 years and its a good shooting bow but I'm getting an itch that I want a new bow, maybe wheels maybe not. Keep my eye watching e-bay, maybe I'll come across a good deal.
Thanks for your imfo.

Bobby
Old 01-17-2006, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on your new bow, sounds like One HAPPY customer!
Old 01-17-2006, 03:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes! Congrat's on your new bow i'm sure you'll be ready to go this season .

nubo
Old 01-17-2006, 03:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congradulations Trembow now the big bucks will be eating out of your hand.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

But! The draw cycle on the Trykon was terrible! Just before you get into the valley, there's this SURGE of resistance. I had felt it a week or so ago at another shop where I tried out a 70 pounder, but I thought it was perhaps just that I wasn't used to 70 pounds. It seemed even worse on the 60 pound bow! The trykon also had a bit of a metallic ping to it at the shot. Probably curable, but the Switchback didn't have ANY noise at all!
ROFL Thats the EXACT same thing I felt when shooting the Switchback. Very twangy sound at release and I felt an increase needed to pullit over the bubble. Both bows had ALMOST no hand shock so I guess the Trykon you guys shot was defective or something because every person I know that has boughta Trykonhas experiencedalmost no shock and almost no noise. Its impossible to say they have no noise or shock. Thats why I went with the Trykon. I guess that goes to show you its all how it feels in your hand. My best friend is an State police officer here in MD. He used to own a Mathews until he shot a Trykon. I bought my Trykon before he bought his. We shot our bows using his decibel/sound meter and the Trykon wasslightly quieter than his Switchback.

Quick Reply: I took the mathews challenge....and...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.