Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

holdin steady

Old 05-09-2008, 08:39 PM

Default holdin steady

i have problems at full draw holding steady. the bow seems to walk all over the place. i have been shooting for years and have compensated for this but i would like to know if anyone has any suggestions or any advice to help me hold steady at full draw
Old 05-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: holdin steady

how old are you? hopefully not a medical problem, but if you;ve noticed a major change......get a checkup, otherwise if you've just shake some.....

I believe being stronger can only help......practicing holding at full draw for longer periods.....ie building up endurance muscles, can only help.

Aside from that I once heard that rather than trying to hold dead on a target....since without a bench that is impossible......try to circle the target......or kinda a controlled wobble, dont try to lock on if you will.

Hopefully this makes some sense.....try to relax, not too much, but be comfy, not like a super tight ball of muscle.

so relaxing and trying not to lock on target might help....
Old 05-09-2008, 09:30 PM

i am very young at only 25 and strength is not an issue. i shoot tight groups but i was wondering if anyone has this problem and if they do what do they do to compensate for this. as it can be distracting when you are shooting.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:54 PM

I thought i was young at 25 now only two years later 27 now I feel like an old man.[] Enjoy it while it lasts man. Good luck with the wobble. I fight that after shooting for over 30mins I think my muscles just start to fatigue. I have never heard about the circle idea though I will try that next time I shoot.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:48 AM
Fork Horn

Eighter try lighter draw weight and see if it makes a difference, dont worry we wont bash you for not being able to grind your teeth when you draw.
Sometimes it could be an issue with you draw lenght eighter to short or to long and is not comfortable for your muscles to relax, and my third guess is your grip .hope i dont get banned for this but when my uncle thought me a few years ago is to hold it like it was the thing between your legs im sure you dont put a death grip on that.Try to see if any of these things are a issue first and then see if its something else like target panic maybe.
good luck hope you figure it out soon .and like salukapiv said eighter lightly circle your target or like some people in my area is to have the pin on the side of the target slight and dont have the pin right in the center of the X
Old 05-10-2008, 09:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Your Draw weight should be easily handled. Draw length correct? I know it doesn't sound right but learn to relax your body as you aim except for your back muscles. It's harder to do than you think, and tensing muscles to try and hold still will only make things worse.

Dan
Old 05-10-2008, 09:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

This usually indicates a fit/form issue.IMO,both draw length and poundage fit into this category.

This is the main reason I do not like a bent bow arm,much more difficult FOR ME to get good bone to bone contact and stay relaxed during the aiming process.

Another thing is most good shooters really aren't trying to get the pin to stop moving,that is almost impossible to achieve,they key is to LET the pin float on the intended AREA while executing back tension,you will be amazed at how the arrow will hit the center of that area more often than not.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:27 PM

thank you for your input. i guess i was thinking that you had to hold the bow almost completely steady while at full draw. or that adding some sort of stabilizer would fix the problem.

since i got my new tribute i have noticed this bugging me more than before so i think i will look at the draw length and give that a try to see if it will change anything.

thanks for the input.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

Your Draw weight should be easily handled. Draw length correct? I know it doesn't sound right but learn to relax your body as you aim except for your back muscles. It's harder to do than you think, and tensing muscles to try and hold still will only make things worse.

Dan
Is that why everyone looks like they have a big gut (me too) in pictures of them shooting???

Chris,
I've had the same problem since I started shooting. I can't explain it either, but my shooting is still what I'd consider pretty good. One thing that's really helpingme hold steadier with my compound is learning to shoot the longbow. Holding that thing at full draw for a little bit on each shot is really strengthening those muscles.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: chris.terbush

thank you for your input. i guess i was thinking that you had to hold the bow almost completely steady while at full draw. or that adding some sort of stabilizer would fix the problem.

since i got my new tribute i have noticed this bugging me more than before so i think i will look at the draw length and give that a try to see if it will change anything.

thanks for the input.
STABILIZER'S,are named that for a reason.Yes,they help and I like more weight on the end of them.

Quick Reply: holdin steady

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.