Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rope and Prussic knot >

Rope and Prussic knot

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rope and Prussic knot

Old 03-25-2006, 09:36 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Rope and Prussic knot

I'm a lineman of almost twenty years,an also used to be a tree trimmer.I do trust the prusic system,and use it in all my treestands.One way to make the system even safer is if you could lash or tie down the fall line,that way as you stay connected(or clipped in)to the line you cn ascend with the prusic in one of your hands .Always maintain three point contact when climbing.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:53 AM
Typical Buck

Sorry for bringing up on old post but I stopped at the rock climbing store last night. The guy told me that he does not recommend this set up unless you pull the ropes down everytime(which defeats the purpose), because the UV rays will quickly weaken the strength of the ropes. And the prussic knot is not supposed to be used to stop falls.I don't really think that UV will be much an issue in a wooded or canopee area.One thing that we are to do in my trade is inspect our gear before we climb or use it.Most times a visual and feeling the ropes for dry rot,cuts abrasions,critters chewing them,frayed strands,etc..most is common sense stuff.Some of these salesmen try to get us to believe we need all this stuff.One note though'I would stay away from some of the naturaul stuff like minela rope and hemp.As they are suspect to rot and mildew.Also one thing as importand as the fall line rope and prusic, is the webbbing or strap on some treestands or ladder sections.This isn't mentioned much but is just as important as the climbing rope.
Old 03-25-2006, 02:05 PM

Thanks for your responses. I am going to use this system but would rather not spend .80 a foot on rope. The seller on Ebay said his rope "has a dry tensile strength of 3840 pounds, stretch factor of 33%, and working load of 410 pounds." Do you think this rope will work? He is selling 120' for $48.