HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Rope and Prussic knot
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2006, 09:53 AM
drstalker
Typical Buck

Default RE: Rope and Prussic knot

Sorry for bringing up on old post but I stopped at the rock climbing store last night. The guy told me that he does not recommend this set up unless you pull the ropes down everytime(which defeats the purpose), because the UV rays will quickly weaken the strength of the ropes. And the prussic knot is not supposed to be used to stop falls.I don't really think that UV will be much an issue in a wooded or canopee area.One thing that we are to do in my trade is inspect our gear before we climb or use it.Most times a visual and feeling the ropes for dry rot,cuts abrasions,critters chewing them,frayed strands,etc..most is common sense stuff.Some of these salesmen try to get us to believe we need all this stuff.One note though'I would stay away from some of the naturaul stuff like minela rope and hemp.As they are suspect to rot and mildew.Also one thing as importand as the fall line rope and prusic, is the webbbing or strap on some treestands or ladder sections.This isn't mentioned much but is just as important as the climbing rope.