Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Antler Traps

Old 02-14-2002, 01:47 PM

Default Deer Antler Traps

Does anyone know of any "Antler Traps" to knock of the antlers of bucks?
Old 02-14-2002, 02:06 PM

Default RE: Deer Antler Traps

I don't really know how to, but I would recommend that you don't make one using wire. If a buck that isn't ready to drop his sheds uses it, he could get stuck. I would guess that you could make a small box with feed in it, then make something like salad bars at resteraunts with the plexi-glass around the top. This way bucks would have to work there heads in there, if their antlers are loose, it will knock them off, it they aren't ready, then they won't get stuck.

Good Luck This Season: Buck Magnet
P.S. Only Chuck Adams can sit at home and see deer so get into the woods. =;^)
Old 02-14-2002, 02:31 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-14-2002, 02:36 PM

Defcon 14, I designed one last year. It is basically made out of 2x4's if you e-mail me I will reply with the design.

They have worked really well, last year 4 antlers were forced off and just yesterday, my dad checked it and there was 2 antlers from 2 different bucks.
Old 02-14-2002, 02:39 PM

THE RANCHER THAT WE LEASE OUR PROPERTY FROM USES T-POSTS. HE DRIVES THEM IN THE GROUND ABOUT 8 TO 10" APART IN A SMALL CIRCLE AND PUTS CORN IN THE CENTER. IF THE BUCK IS USING ONE OF THESE FEEDING LOCATIONS WHEN HIS ANTLERS ARE READY TO COME OFF, THE BANGING ON THE T-POSTS WILL KNOCK THEM OFF. I'VE FOUND ANTLERS INSIDE THE CIRCLE AND I'VE ALSO FOUND THEM JUST YARDS AWAY. THERE IS NO DANGER OF THE BUCK GETTING CAUGHT, ALL HE HAS TO DO IS TURN HIS HEAD SIDEWAYS TO GET OUT BUT BY THEN HE HAS ALREADY BANGED AND PULLED HIS ANTLERS ON THE T-POSTS LOSTENING THEM UP. THE ONLY DRAWBACK IS IT TAKES ALOT OF CORN BECUASE THE DOES AND FAWNS WILL EAT YOU OUT OF HOUSE AND HOME.

PLEASE DO NOT USE ANY KIND OF WIRE TRAPS. I'VE SEEN SOME BAD RESULTS COME FROM GOOD INTENTIONS.

CERTIFIED GUN NUT--
Old 02-15-2002, 08:08 PM

use 3 metal fence posts pound them n the ground and tie another post about 1.5-2' above the ground, put corn n middle. lots of nfo on this at tndeer.com