Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 has anyone found a good deer scent? >

has anyone found a good deer scent?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

has anyone found a good deer scent?

Old 11-24-2005, 07:57 PM

Default has anyone found a good deer scent?

there are hundreds of sents out there. has anyone found one that realy works. I tried several and had no luck at all. even ran my game camera for 2 weeks on the scented area and nothing. anyone found one that works on bucks? on does?
Old 11-24-2005, 09:00 PM

Default RE: has anyone found a good deer scent?

I like trails end by wildlife research centers. I have also tried tinks Trophy buck lure with good sucess. I have tried estrous and things like tinks # 69 with no luck. I however hunt on public land and i think the deer no better than to respond to sents during the daylight hours.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:15 AM
Fork Horn

I cut the tarsal glands off a doe I shot earlier in the year and they were responsible for two bucks I killed this year. I set them on a couple tree limbs downwind of meon the first hunt. The buck was a medium size 8-point and he came in with his nose in the air trying to spot the doe he thought he smelled.
On the second hunt I tossed them out in front of my stand before I climbed in it. The buck was tendinga doe. She walked almost directly under me with him not far behind and I was afraid I wasn't going to get a good broadside shot. He smelled the tarsal glands, stopped and turned broadside at about 15 yards to check out the smell and I shot him.
Both of these bucks were taken during the rut. I'm not sure it would have the same affect early or late season. The glands can be kept in a freezer if your not going to use them right away. I've used scents from a store but have never had results like this.
Here's a pic of the second buck.

Old 11-25-2005, 01:54 PM
Fork Horn

I do use scents during the pre-rut and the rut. I have had luck with Kiss scents and Code Blue. I have never had any luck with the so called cureosity scents.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have had the best luck with KISS #1 scent. Its a curiosity scent, that seems to comfort the deer. Opening day of archery this year, I had 2 does w/ fawns pulled 15 yds off of their intended path just to come and smell the scent bomb I had put out with it in it.

This is just one of many examples I have had with it.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:23 PM

Buck Fever Synthetics have worked well for me. I've used Tink's and Wildlife Research too...whatever you happen to be using the day you stick a big one is going to be the one YOU have confidence in.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with C-W-S.
I am a true believer in tarsal glands.They are free,most natural scent out there and can obtain them off of any deer.
Just use special precautions on removing them,use rubber gloves and keep in a zip-lok freezer bag when not in use.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:13 AM

I like deer dander for cover up and attractant.
Old 11-26-2005, 02:15 AM
Typical Buck

Another ditto for C-WOODS-SHOOT. I went up to the local butcher shop at the end of MD's October doe muzzleloader season, went into histractor-trailer refridgerator,and harvested the tarsal glands from about15 does that were stacked in there. I handled them with latex gloves, wrapped each one individually in saran wrapand froze them. When I take a doe that is in estrous, I'll also harvest her uterus - the best lure ever created...
As far as commercial scents, Whitetail Maniac 150hascaused deer to pause and investigate without alarm, but I've had deer walk right by it too.
-fsh

Old 11-26-2005, 02:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

AVOID the scents made by Hunter's Specialties. I used them this year and they scared the deer away from my areas. I've used others in the past with no problems. The best one was put out by a company that apparently is no longer in business. I think it was C & O scents, but I'm not sure.

Quick Reply: has anyone found a good deer scent?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.