Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What a Morning... The Good, Bad and the Ugly... >

What a Morning... The Good, Bad and the Ugly...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What a Morning... The Good, Bad and the Ugly...

Old 11-17-2005, 09:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What a Morning... The Good, Bad and the Ugly...

Yea it sound's as though it's a liver shot and 5 + hr's would be lot's of time to go searching for him ,but I'm sure he'll be looking for a place to bed right of way ,just take your time and be patient .I'm sure you'll find him .

nubo
Old 11-17-2005, 09:46 AM

Good luck on finding him and dont leave us hanging.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wait as Long as you can.. The longer the better. I shot a buck last year, LIVER shot.. I kicked him up right away, so I assume anyways.. Lots the blood trail, no beds.. Found him two days later 3/8 mile away next to a creek.. LUCKY..!!

I should have waited till the next morning.. I will no longer go after a BIG buck unless I know for a fact its double lunged or I see it drop...till the next morning. Unless rain or snow is in the picture.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:49 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys... I'll be sure to get some pics, and put them up...
Old 11-17-2005, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck
Old 11-17-2005, 10:09 AM

Good luck, I agree he's DOA.We'll be chewing our nails until we hear back from you.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:15 AM
Fork Horn

I just finished reading "finding wounded deer" by John Trout.........

....therefore I agree that probably a liver shot. HOWEVER, you say you could have hit WAYY back which could suggest a ham (ass) shot. This would also give you bright blood. This would also suggest immediate tracking to prevent clotting. John Trout claims that almost all deer he's shot in the rear have been recovered....but he gets on them right away.

I'm certain you didn't hit stomach / intestines judging by your description. Lung shot deer almost always run. If you are sure you hig AHEAD of the stomach you hit the liver and he is 100% dead in less than 2 hours....period.

Go get us some pictures please

Old 11-17-2005, 10:23 AM
Fork Horn

Well CSMCat it looked to me like I hit far back enough to get Stomach ect... But it all happens so fast it's really hard to be sure... So I only have to go on what I thought I hit, and the arrow... With the arrow being the true tale I guess... I was glad to see alot of Blood on the arrow I know that... Hopefully it'll work out... I feel like I have done everything right so far, so hopefully it'll pay off...

I really hope the deer is what I think he is... I usually pay ALOT more attention to what I shoot... My brother makes fun of me cause I can tell him Details about the rack on any deer I have shot, and most that I see... But this time, I'm just not sure... I know he has at least 8" G2's and is probably 17" wide, Dark Rack, but I just don't know anymore the that... I couldn't get the Bino's on him cause he was coming too quick...

I'll tell you one thing, that Decoy WORKS... This is only the first time I used it, but he came right in once he saw it... I mean if you can get it close enough to a buck for him to see it, I feel like just about any buck will get into bow range once he sees it... I wish I would have had itlast weekwhen 2 Giants passed just out of Range...
Old 11-17-2005, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

It definately sounds like a live hit. You're doing the right thing by waiting. Good Luck this evening.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well have you's found your buck yet?

nubo

Quick Reply: What a Morning... The Good, Bad and the Ugly...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.