Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What a Morning... The Good, Bad and the Ugly... >

What a Morning... The Good, Bad and the Ugly...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What a Morning... The Good, Bad and the Ugly...

Old 11-18-2005, 05:32 AM

Default RE: What a Morning... The Good, Bad and the Ugly...

Well???? any updates?
Old 11-18-2005, 05:40 AM
Fork Horn

OK here is the rest of the story (So Far)... I got out there yesterday afternoon about 3:30 with my brother and we started looking where I shot him and where I last saw him... We looked for 2 hours until dark and a little bit after dark... I never found 1 spec of blood... Not 1 dot... And I KNOW Exactly where the deerwas when he was 100+ Yards from where I shot him... I know the trail and hill he crested... We looked and looked, walked the edge of the Thicket and down into the thicket... All along it... Back and forth across the top of theridge (the last place I saw him)... Nothing...

I dunno what happend... I was 25 feet in a tree, I shot this deer at 15 yards with a Muzzy Phantom Braodhead (fixed blade head)... He HAS to have a Low Hole, the arrow is covered in dark blood to the nock... Not one drop on the ground (at least that we found)...

I am kinda sick over this, this is the first deer it appears I have lost... I thought I did everything right... I am going to get back there with a small crew tomorrow and see what we can find it's been cold the meat might not be bad... I dunno...

I am at a loss... Don't understand it, I could see if I found blood tracked him for a mile and lost the trail... But to have a covered arrow, a low hole, and not find anything... Something isn't right...

Aight so give me some thoughts on this... Sorry to Disappoint, but you have no idea how disappointed I am... 20/20 hide sight says I should have taken more time on my shot... Instead I screwed up a Real Nice deer... Anyway let me know...
Old 11-18-2005, 06:21 AM
Fork Horn

I shot a deer through the liver and had a mess of blood where I found the arrow and not another drop (that I could find) until his death bed. I seen him flop about 80yds from my tree, but I still tried to track him and was disappointed that I couldn't find any blood. I shot him with a Muzzy 3 blade 100gr,I'm not bashing the broadhead I still shoot and love them. I opened him up and pulled out three huge blood clots about the size of tenderloins and a bunch of free blood in the chest cavity. I too would have thought I lost him if I hadn't seen him actually go down, I had good marks after I shot him (he ran a half circle so he prolly ran about 120yds, but died about 80 from the tree) and I couldn't find any blood around my marks.

I'm just trying to tell you to put more time in, don't be discouraged by no blood sign. He could open up at anytime and start pouring it out.Also, give alot of error on your marks he might not have been bleeding at that point, could have plugged around there or the mark might not have been exactly where the deer was. I always think things look different from the ground than the tree. Finding first blood isn't always easy hopefully you get a starting point. I do believe if you hit him through the liver he is dead and you did the right thing by waiting.

Good luck and post some pics when you find him.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with Hungar, if you did hit him in the liver, he won't go too far if not pushed.

You may also want to consider not going so high in the tree. 25 feet up means you are probably shooting from 30 feet up. That's an aweful angle for in close shots. Sure there are drawback, but to me they are well worth it. Just have to get in areas with good cover, and keep your scent to a minimum. Personally, I won't go past about 15 feet max.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:51 AM
Fork Horn

I still say he's dead and close.....probably within a couple hundred yards according to what I've read. If nothing else get a group of guys and grid walk. He's dead....just put some time in.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:57 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah that is the plan for tomorrow... Just get some guys and see what we can locate... I am sure he's dead also, you don't get 2 1" 1/8th holes though ya too often and live to tell about it...
Old 11-18-2005, 07:17 AM

good luck and keep us posted.

Old 11-18-2005, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

hh....don't beat yourself up. Hindsight is always 20/20. IMO that deer is dead. Hard to say why he is not bleeding, but I bet he's there somewhere. You handled the situation exactly they way you should have...backing out. I would be out there today, all day looking for him...maybe I missed something on your posts, but not sure why you aren't out there right now. If you had to work, you need to get sick...right now!

He's there, somewhere. And as cold as it is, the meat will be fine. Post the pics...do not give up. You will find him.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

8 hr. should be enough for your deer to die. I bet he won't be 50 yds off that loggin road. Pat yourself on the back for using your head after the shot. I would just about bet the bank you will find him. Good luck
Old 11-18-2005, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

go out to the last place you seen him and circle the area with a group of guys. Just like all the other threads on the 'can't find my deer' posts, Look towards water. Also check the leaves and branches about the height of the entrance and exit. Good Luck

Quick Reply: What a Morning... The Good, Bad and the Ugly...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.