Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 ANOTHER black eye on bow hunters! >

ANOTHER black eye on bow hunters!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ANOTHER black eye on bow hunters!

Old 11-16-2005, 10:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default ANOTHER black eye on bow hunters!

I clicked on the channel 6 (abc) news tonight at 11:05. Missed the head line
but, the storie is just unfolding. Semingly a lady in Quakertown, Pa. let her
dog out for a run inher 13 acre back yard. when the dog ran into the bushes
shortly after a sqweel and cry came from the bushes, her husband ran to see
what happened. The dog was shot w/ an arrow. Fortunatly, the dog made it
to the vet in time and was saved. They xrayed the wound and concluded
it was hit in the lung w/ an expandable arrow head. The arrow was not recovered and hunters that were in the area at the time are now being questioned.

It is things like this that make me feel embarresed to call myself a hunter.

WOW I never thaught of my signature like this!
Old 11-16-2005, 11:04 PM

Default RE: ANOTHER black eye on bow hunters!

I'm pretty new to hunting, but boy when I went through the hunters safety course, they drilled into our heads they you don't shoot at anything unless your sure of your target. That is a pretty rotten thing to do and it does make all hunters look bad.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:24 PM

That must have been REALLY big dog.

I never have understood how you can mistake something else for deer, they are fairly distinctive looking.

Paul
Old 11-17-2005, 01:13 AM

no, a lot of bow hunters shoot dogs, and well you should't just narrow it to bow hunters, because this topic has been beaten to death through out this board. If i lived near public hunting grounds i wouldn't dream of letting my dog out onto the land.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:55 AM

I takes just a few idiots like that to get more private hunting land closed down. I have been hunting 100 acres the last 6 years that was previously shut down because of some careless individuals.
I have been honest and i also respect his land and machinerywhich in turn has developed into anexcellent relationship with him and i also watch his property real close for intruders. I report anything out of the ordinary to him. I feel very privledged to be able to have earned this right to hunt this land i'll do what ever it takes to keep it that way too!! people that shoot other peoples pets shouldn't consider themselves hunters.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:52 AM
Fork Horn

I've had about three dogs and two cats run by me in the woods while I've been hunting and honestly I thought about shooting the dogs, they were all running after deer. I only had one give me a shot, but I couldn't do it when I thoughtaboutmy sons and their dog. I just hope that these dogs weren't let out just to get some run time in (private property), I like to think they escaped from a watchful owner that is truly upset that the dog got away and they are trying to correct the situation. With that being said I don't know what I'd do if all season long I see the same dog running deer day after day, luckily I haven't had this decision since they were all different dogs two seen once andone seen twice.
Chris
Old 11-17-2005, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

My boss was hunting a private 40 acre parcel Yesterday and the dogs from theGuy that lives1/2 mile away came running by my boss's stand chasing a deer. Now thats Down Right Bull****. Dogs should be shot if they are chasing deer. The police around here shoot dogs if they are chasing deer, they shot some last year. If you can't control your dogs, thats your own damn fault. I have a beautiful golden retreiver so don't tell my i'm not a dog lover. Dogs are pets and they need to stay that way. I'm assuming the lady's dogs ran off of her property, unless these guys were hunting on HER property. If so, she should NOT HAVE LET HER DOGS RUN if she had given the hunters permission. If they were there without permission, then the guy that shot the dog is in deep dog doodoo.

my 2 cents
Old 11-17-2005, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depending on the size of the dog thats a good shot

Bet they are in trouble.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:45 AM

I am kind of shocked by some of the responses to this thread but everyone has their own opinion. Different areas handle these types of situations differently.

I live in Marland and would never dream of shooting a dog unless it was attacking me. The amount of negative media it would stir up would be unimaginable regardless if I was right or wrong. If a dog chases a deer away, so be it. I cannot count the times a dim-witted hunter has spoiled my day. I have thought about shooting them also, but I don't.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:16 AM

ORIGINAL: Mathewsboy

My boss was hunting a private 40 acre parcel Yesterday and the dogs from theGuy that lives1/2 mile away came running by my boss's stand chasing a deer. Now thats Down Right Bull****. Dogs should be shot if they are chasing deer. The police around here shoot dogs if they are chasing deer, they shot some last year. If you can't control your dogs, thats your own damn fault. I have a beautiful golden retreiver so don't tell my i'm not a dog lover. Dogs are pets and they need to stay that way. I'm assuming the lady's dogs ran off of her property, unless these guys were hunting on HER property. If so, she should NOT HAVE LET HER DOGS RUN if she had given the hunters permission. If they were there without permission, then the guy that shot the dog is in deep dog doodoo.

my 2 cents
I must completely agree with this guy! Where I live deer are few and far between. If I am out hunting my areas and I catch someones cats or dogs harrasing wild animals then you better believe I'm gonna shoot if I get the chance! The forestry agents and police around here would do the exact same thing and believe me I've pegged some dogs in my back yard with a pellet rifle because they were on my property chasing our deer that are pretty much like pets! I have 2 cats a dachsund and a 3 year old golden retriever so don't even try to say I don't like animals. Like the quote says if you can't responsibly take care of your animals and keep them under control then you shouldn't have them and what happens... happens.

Quick Reply: ANOTHER black eye on bow hunters!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.