Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

not yet

Old 11-16-2005, 01:09 AM

Default not yet

been going bow hunting now about 20 times and still havn't seen a deer yet thinking about giving up bow hunting here in ohio, been to four different areas and nothing yet HELP
Old 11-16-2005, 02:40 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: not yet

ORIGINAL: landisjames2703

been going bow hunting now about 20 times and still havn't seen a deer yet thinking about giving up bow hunting here in ohio, been to four different areas and nothing yet HELP
Yep Give it up!!! If you been out that much and you haven't seen a deer. Sell your stuff and take up golf. You must be stinky. LOL
Old 11-16-2005, 03:25 AM

I wouldn't give it up. Bow hunting is where it is!! There is nothing like getting the deer in close enough to take a shot with a bow. I don't know if you're new to hunting or not, but you might check your scent control and learn as much as you can about pre-season scouting. I'm still learning myself, but I believe in scent control and I'm still trying to figure out how to find well traveled route for deer. I got my first deer with a bow this year. I started bow hunting last year, went out every chance I got (20-30 time) last year. I saw a lot of deer, but made a lot of mistakes too and didn't get to harvest one last year. I got my first deer with a rifle last year, but no luck durring archery season. Stick with it, there's nothing like taking your first deer with a bow and once you do, you'll be hooked for life. Read all you can, watch all the hunting shows you can, and ask all the question you can, you'll get there. Good luck.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:54 AM
Typical Buck

How old are you?? Just wondering?? I figure you got to be a young hunter because a old guy would have started drinking heavy by now.lol. I find it hard to believe you could go 20 times and not see a deer. you must have really bad luck or you don't have a clue as what to look for. Don't be shy Speek up!!! I know it sounds like Im raggin on you but its ment in a good way. By your post it sounds like you are already defeted. I say the heck with that noise bro. You gotta get with the program. Buy some hunting how to dvd's not those dumb 100 kill vidios that all those bozo's on the outdoor channel sell, Im goin to do you a big favor, get these vidieos and you will kill a deer. http://www.brothersofthebow.com/html/bow.htmlYou might just learn something and if you need something to get your spirit back look at this one http://www.brothersofthebow.com/html/primaldreams.htmlAnd all will be in your freezer. These two old boys know how its done.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your In OHIO and haven't seen a deer yet? SOmething aint right here. WHere are you hunting? Tree, ground? Scent Control? Field Edges? Funnels, woodlots? GIve details son....
Old 11-16-2005, 05:18 PM

You have to be doing something wrong. Im from Ohio and I see deer all the time. Let me know where your hunting in Ohio and If your somewhere close you can become my "aprentice." Have you just started hunting in general or just bow hunting. Give us details man.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:46 PM
Fork Horn

I have been hunting for 3 1/2 years now.
Year 1: saw no deer except the ones I stumbled over on the way in or out
Year 2: began to notice deer signs, but still saw no deer
Year 3: started using tree stand, saw deer about 1/4 of my hunts
This year: seeing deer about 3/4 of my hunts

I still have not taken a deer, but each year I get closer. This year I have had a couple of deer come in close enough for a shot, but get busted drawing. Also took a shotwith my muzzleloader, but had a misfire and missed.

I figure if I see an improvement over the year before, I'm heading in the right direction. Even though I haven't taken a deer yet, I figure it's just a matter of time and patience.

-Rick C.