Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Hunting in the rain >

Hunting in the rain

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting in the rain

Old 10-11-2002, 08:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hunting in the rain

Rain will never stop me from hunting, only high winds will. Depending on the type of rain it is and what is being forcasted, I may limit my shot selection.
Old 10-11-2002, 03:24 PM

THANKS GUYS.
I thick I'LL try the rain again but this time,
20 min. and i'll be tracking.

as far as the string tracker,is it just me
or does anyone else have trouble,my bow will shoot
4 inches low with it on...... at 25 yards.

Old 10-11-2002, 04:17 PM

can't shoot em if you're not in the woods!!!!! let in rain, snow, hail, whatever..... it's hunting!! I agree with cyclone though. Take a more sure shot??? Every shot should be the same percentage (100%) that you will kill that animal.
Old 10-11-2002, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can see the logic in sticking with a closer shot in the rain. Alot of people might be great shots out to 40 yards , but in bowhunting nothing is a gimme.

Any of you guys have good luck when it's really windy? I dont! Whenever it's really windy , they dont show up till dark and if I go in the morning they bed down early.

"Nocked,cocked & ready to rock"
Old 10-11-2002, 07:32 PM

I just can't hunt in the rain with the posibility of loosing the animal because the blood trail gets washed away. I will get into the woods as aoon as it starts to clear. If it starts to rain while I am out in the field I will hide under a tree and wait for a while. Even an animal the size of an elk is very hard to find when ther down on the ground, they blend in just so well. This year I lost 5 days of the elk season due to rain.

PICK-A-SPOT
MARK
Old 10-11-2002, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love to hunt in the rain. I don`t like a real hard downpour, but they usually don`t last that long. Like most others, I shorten my max range considerably in the rain due to the effects that wet arrows, and shooting through rain can cause. Most of my stand locations only offer 10-20 yard shots anyhow.

Bowfanatic, I have never had any luck on extremely windy days either, but a friend of mine sure has.
November 14, 2000 in pike co., Illinois, the wind was blowing 40-45mph when we got up to hunt so I went back to bed.(pretty easy to do since I already had a P&Y hanging)Anyway, my buddy hung in there(literally) until 10:30am when he shot a 152" buck. I guess when the rut is on, the deer don`t care about the wind!

NRA,UBP,BASS Member
New Stanton,PA
Old 10-11-2002, 07:47 PM

Have killed some nice deer in rain, especially in a thunderstorm. As for hearing the deer???? I almost never hear them coming. I remember once hunting with my treestand leaned against a tree that was at the edge of a HEAVY briar thicket. I saw a nice buck off to the right. He worked around and was coming behind me through, you guessed it, that HEAVY briar thicket. Had I not seen him I sure would not have heard him in the thicket.

Hey, size may not matter but it sure IS nice!
Old 10-11-2002, 09:31 PM

I like to hunt in the rain I feel I have a better chance at a good shot then. I will get down and track soon after I shoot,Track slow and steady some times you can walk up on one that has laid down for the final kill shot if need be.Practice and Be SAFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-11-2002, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunt in the rain. BUT should you somehow screw up, and gut shoot a deer, DO NOT follow it. A gut shot deer, if not pushed will usually bed several times, and expire within 200 yds of the shot - within 6-10 hours. Even with no blood at all you are better off not following it, and taking your chances. A gut shot deer can go for miles if pushed, its septic shock that kills it, not blood loss.

I definitely do not condone bad shot selection, but should it happen -please follow this advice.
Old 10-12-2002, 02:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have my back up bow set up with a string tracker for hunting rainy days.
Muzzy 125, 4"low sounds about right. Luckily for me I am dead at twenty using my 30 yard pin when using the string tracker. So I just keep the shots to within 20 yards and use my 30 yard pin.- This is my plan of attack since I've never shot one while using this set up. But, I will not hunt in the rain without it after loosing a deer to the rain some five years ago.