Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Persistence pays off... >

Persistence pays off...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Persistence pays off...

Old 11-10-2005, 04:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Persistence pays off...

Congratulations my friend!!! Way to go....I mean good job shooting and retrieving your deer, but also the way you have your family involved in what you do is just socool!!

On the way back, Iasked, "Did you help Daddy get a doe?"He nodded yes, and said, "She was hiding!"
Man stick that quote in one of your journals! This IS definitley priceless!

I heard of a guy once that took his son frogging. The imprint of those nights bonding with Dad stuck with that young man for the rest of his life. He grew up to be a wonderfully productive citizen and an outstanding father himself.The roots of this young man's success can be traced all the way back to those nights on the stream and experiences like them. Your son is getting a good foundation, he is going to have some fine memories to carry with him for life...

She finally found a spot "where it looked like the dirt had been disturbed."
I remember your story well, isn't it amazing what a good partner can do! Give your wife my regards...

Old 11-10-2005, 07:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Great pic, and congrats on finding your deer. What did you end up hitting? The bottom of one lung?
Thundergut,

Sorry I neglected your question; actually, she was slightly quartering away -- which is exactly what I wanted -- but by hitting a tad bit forward, the arrow smashed through the shoulder and passed through her brisket and didn't touch the other leg or any major organs. If she'd been perfectly broadside, I would have went through both shoulders and she wouldn't have been able to go anywhere. As it was, I just had to wait for her to bleed out, which is what took so long. Normally on a hit like that, I would have liked to have left her overnight, but those temps made me push the issue.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice job! Glad to see you made the right call and were able to retrieve her. Was there any coyote damage? And how did you manage to get her back across the creek? I shot a doe that fell over a 20ft edge last year, and it took both my Dad and Grandpa (I was injured at the time, so I couldn't help)close to 20 mins to get her back up. I can't imagine how tough it would be for one person to haul her up and over.
Congrats on the doe again!!
Old 11-10-2005, 08:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

.308, thankfully the yotes didn't find her. As far as pulling her back up that creek bank, I left her at the bottom and pushed my son up to the top and then went back and grabbed her. It was a bit of a struggle due to the steepness of the embankment, but thankfully she was just a yearling and her weight really didn't prove to be too much of an obstacle. There would have been no way I could have done that with a mature corn-fed Illinois deer!
Old 11-10-2005, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

You have been busy the past few days and you definately earned them all. Way to get the family involved....

Shots don't always hit perfectly this was a great example of quality follow up after the shot is not so perfect.

Old 11-10-2005, 08:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks, shed -- and everyone else. That was exactly the point of the post; I almost entitled it "the anti 'I lost one' thread"...

I saw a signature on someone's posts once that read, "You're not through looking until you've been on your hands and knees for an hour..."

Before I got everything all worked out with this little girl, I had been on my hands and knees several times.