Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

my $#@$#$ story

Old 11-08-2005, 12:10 PM
Spike

Default my $#@$#$ story

So it was saturday the 5th and my parents came for the weekend to visit me.My father and i got talking about hunting( for acouple of hours)and my wife and mother told us to shut up or just go hunting,easy decision.Since i only have one treestand i broke out my burlap ground blind and dug out some thumb tacks and two hunting stools gave my old man one of myold army unis towear grabbed my bow and out the door we went(2:30).Since we where going to hunt on the ground i didn't want to hunt the spot i have beenhunting in my treestand and spook the deer so we set up in a place where i have jumped a few deer crossing through not really expecting to see one if any.We sat for about ahour and my dad spots movement to are left and it is three does, so i stand up and get ready for them to come into shooting range.So here they come slowly walking are way at about 45 yards stopping and eating and walk alittle more, then all three at once stop dead in there tracks and start looking around, they winded us i am suprised it took that long becouse the wind was blowing right at them,they trot off and eventually go out of sight.well we sat for a whileand had about15 min left of hunting timeand not a thing was moving and the woods where deadso wegot up and started packing up the blind and my dad saidreal quite to stop and i looked over my shoulder and there is a nice 8 point standing at15 yard in the open watching us just standing there like he hadno idea what we were and here i am bow on the ground standing between a couple of trees my dad still has the blind in his hand standing in the open.what seemed like an hour but was more like a minuite he stomped at us and snorted but we stood motionless.finally he trotted off about20 yards into a thicker area andas he did i grabbed my bow, so now he is 35 yards or so in athicket and i can,t get a shot he walks a half circle around us so he ends up on the same trail he would have been on if he would not have spotted us stops looks back at us to far for a shot givesus a head nod kinda like saying to us " if you would have sat still you would be dragging me out of here" and he walked of into the now darkness and my hunt is over.I still have now idea how two of us didnot see him coming before we started to pack(we where going out to eat with the family and had reservations and thought they day was over)upbut hey i got to hunt with my dad the man that showed me how to hunt and i have taken many deer over the years becouse of some of things he showed me so it was still a good hunt and now me and my old man have a goodstory to tell, but still wish we would have had to drag him out of there but i will be out there this friday becouse i have veterans day off and i will be out saturday and the temp is going to drop here in maryland this week so we will see what happens. thanks for reading and good luck to all. if i get him i will post a pic becouse that buck is my goal for this year!!!!!
P.S
I have learned my lesson to stay my stand untill dark!!!!
Old 11-08-2005, 12:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: my $#@$#$ story

It's all about memories and learning lessons. Thanks for sharing, and I know how it is to talk hunting with a buddy while the wife talks to other ladies. You're fortunate to have your dad to hunt with. Mine never hunted anddied of a heart attack 5 years ago. Whereabouts in Maryland?
Old 11-08-2005, 12:50 PM
Spike

i am stationed at ft meade but hunt near greenbelt md
Old 11-08-2005, 03:57 PM

IMO, missing the chance at that buck was worth the memory you gained.

Cool story!
Old 11-08-2005, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bet the Girls told you guys to shut up at the dinner table too
Cool story!!
Old 11-08-2005, 05:21 PM
Spike

since it happened saturday i have been told by my wif to shut up i don't know how many times and also by the people who do not hunt at work