Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shooting your bow with a tree harness on >

Shooting your bow with a tree harness on

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting your bow with a tree harness on

Old 11-09-2005, 06:56 PM

Default RE: Shooting your bow with a tree harness on

I don't know what kind of harness you bought, but I don't have any problems with mine. Maybe you're not using it correctly.

A way to totally eliminate any problems with trying to shoot either side is to shoot either way - right or left-handed. That's why I go into the woods with a release on either hand. If the shot prevents difficulty in any way, I just switch hands.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:09 PM

I experienced this a few days ago when a doe was behind me and to my right. I could feel the harness against my arm as I stood turned to the right and knew I wouldn't be able to draw........I just grabbed the prusic knot and slid it down the rope to put slack in the strap and drew with no problem. She never gave me a shot but it was really no big deal.............VERY small price to pay for safety..........the only shot it comes into play on is far right and back.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't understand either. the only time it's a problem is if I'm facing backwards (looking at the tree) and expect the deer to go around the right but decides to go around on the leftor vice versathen I have to lift the bow over the rope but then again only if I'm facing the tree looking behind me. Droping the rope lower on the tree would surely oleaveate that problem as said about.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:39 PM

i have a SOP harness and i set my high enough on the tree that the tether strap is almost tight when i set down, mainly cuase i dont want to fall far if a fall were to happen,,and i have draw to my right and have had no problems, i have more problem with hittin the tree with my drawin arm when i am drawin but have not any problem with the tether, also one to thing to consider about lowerin the strap is the fall time. The longer u fall the fast u are goin and the more force that the strape and harness is goin to have to stop which could make failure even more likely,,so u may be able to handle the fall but the harness may not,, escecially if u is a bigger person
Old 11-09-2005, 09:10 PM

I have a harness, but I don't like how the strap gets in my way of drawing my bow, so I went back to the waist strap, lets just say if you fall out of my treestands you are an idiot. I too tried the idea of tucking the excess under my arm, but I did not feel comfortable like that, so the waist belt gives me more manuevering ability, and now the draw of my bow is a smoother process.