Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

odd happenings in the stand

Old 11-07-2005, 09:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default odd happenings in the stand

A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO I WAS IN MY STAND AND A SMALL FALCOLN THING TRIED TO ATTACK ME. I SAW HIM LAND ON A LIMB ABOUT 10 FEET FROM ME AND HE SAT THERE WATCHING ME. I NEVER MOVED ANYTHING EXCEPT FOR MY EYES, EVIDENTLY HE THOUGHT THEY WERE FOOD AND TRIED TO CATCH THEM. I ALMOST JUMPED OUT OF THE TREE! HIS TALONS WERE WITHIN INCHES OF MY EYES. ALSO, I HAD A 4 FOOT BLACK SNAKE CRAWL OUT OF A KNOT HOLE THAT I HAD MY STAND HUNG OVER, HE ALMOST GOT IN MY LAP BEFORE I NOTICED HIM..........I MOVED MY STAND!
Old 11-07-2005, 09:12 PM

Default RE: odd happenings in the stand

I've had an Owl almost get me, he swerved at the last minute.....Scared the crap out of me.....
Old 11-07-2005, 10:58 PM

alright that snake would put me on my a$$ on the ground, dont get along with them things....but the worst thing thats happend to me is one of them damn red squirrels givin me away to a nice buck that i had comin in, i had him comin in bout 45 yds on a steady pace down the trail i had my stand on, got within 30 yrds i was pulled back and one of those squirrels popped out of a whole that was right above me and started chirppin, that was all it took for him to get spooked.... was i pissed it turned into a squirrel hunt very rappidly
Old 11-07-2005, 11:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a hawk swoop at me once. I moved abrubtly and it realized how big I was and changed directions.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:47 AM

About two weeks ago, I was at full draw on a good bow buck. He was about 45 yards out and on his way into my range. I like them within 30 yards. I drew on him at about the only chance I was gonna get without him seeing me, and I was just waiting him out at full draw. He stopped for a moment, as time stood still. Out of nowhere, a muzzleloader fired and that buck hit the ground right in front of me. Off to the south I see an orange-clad guy who was feeling the emotion that I was just a moment away from experiencing! I nearly cried. Anyway, he saw me a minute or two later.

Old 11-08-2005, 01:45 AM

We'll haven't had anything just scare me out of the stand yet, but the last time I was out I had a bird land on my arrow. I had just finished installing a new bow holder. It was one of those that attaches right to the side of the stand. Once I got it secured, I put my bow in it. I had an arrow noc'd and was awaiting any sign of deer when this little bird just landed on my noc'd arrow. Once it realized that I wasn't part of the tree it took off. The only other experiences I've had are the stupid squirels that come up and just look at me. They'll get within a few feet and just stare at me. I've wondered if it's better to try to scare the squirels off or just leave them alone. The do make a lot of noise and I figured that if a deer did come in, the squirels would spook them off. On the other hand, I've read a couple of posts on here that said the deer are used to the way the squirels sound and it doesn't bother them.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bees. Climbed a tree with the climbing stand and when it warmed up a little, the bees, from a small hole in the tree, started swarming, underneath me. I finally had to abandon ship. I jumped out at 12 feet and it wasn't pretty.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I did the honey bee thing too. They were eating me alive once the sun came out. I got out of there in a hurry.
I also had a raccoon in my stand one morning and he wasn't the sharing type. I had to throw sticks and rocks at him to get him evicted.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:28 AM
Spike

I was about 20 foot up in my climber on a windy day. A tree up the ridge from me started to give way and was falling right for me. It caught a large limb at the last second and landed ten foot to the left of my stand. Scard the piss out of me, but I didnt have anywhere to go, lol.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

I had 4 chickadees land on me . needless to say the pooed on me too. And this one time i had a bunch of turkeys roost in the tree i was in, needless to say, they pooed on me too.And this one time at band camp.............lol

Quick Reply: odd happenings in the stand

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service