Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 odd happenings in the stand >

odd happenings in the stand

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

odd happenings in the stand

Old 11-08-2005, 01:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: odd happenings in the stand

I was bowhunting behind a college branch campus one night (about 100-150 yards from a parking lot), and had a romantic couple come down in the woods and set up camp on an oak flat,about 25 yards from my stand. They sat down in the leaves and started a make-out session.So I gave 'em a cough to alert them of my presence.

Needless to say, they were a little embarrassed, and bailed out of there quickly.

If the girl was hotter, I'd have kept my mouth shut, because things weregetting hot & heavy. She was pretty homely though - I bino'ed her first, to make sure. LOL

That was about 6 years ago.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:00 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: SWOSUMike

About two weeks ago, I was at full draw on a good bow buck. He was about 45 yards out and on his way into my range. I like them within 30 yards. I drew on him at about the only chance I was gonna get without him seeing me, and I was just waiting him out at full draw. He stopped for a moment, as time stood still. Out of nowhere, a muzzleloader fired and that buck hit the ground right in front of me. Off to the south I see an orange-clad guy who was feeling the emotion that I was just a moment away from experiencing! I nearly cried. Anyway, he saw me a minute or two later.
Do archery and muzzleloader seasons run together in Oklahoma? They don't here in Kansas. Had that happened to me, I would have pretty pissed because the guy would have been hunting illegally.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:21 PM

While turkey hunting this past spring, I had a racoon come right in on me. I initially spotted him about 30 yards away, then watched as he moved up the hill towards me. I had my Nova leaning on my right thigh and knee, with a small hickorynut tree at 10:00. As the coon angled towards me, the hickorynut tree blocked him out for the last few feet.Ashe passed behind the tree, I brought the gun up to my shoulder.He came out from behind the tree, and right at me. Needless to say, Iwent home without a gobbler but felt goodknowing there was one less predator raiding turkey nests.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:00 PM
Fork Horn

Last saturday I was hunting on a telephone phone in west texas with a tree growing around it. I'm in a ladder stand i felt the telephone pole move a little bit. I looked up at the same time an owl crapped on me. Luckly i had a face mask on so it didn't get in my mouth. I drew back to shoot him i was so pissed off but it wasnt his fault I was there. I could of had owl stew if i wanted(Dont worry i've never shot an owl and never plan on doing it)
Old 11-08-2005, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a squirrel pee on my head once[:-]
Old 11-08-2005, 04:54 PM

i've had owls swoop in on me before, twice actually in the same stand. they like to perch in the tree i have my stand it, they just kinda come outta nowhere. the one that takes the cake though didnt happen to me.

i was going over friday nite on the gravel driveway thats a mile long to our gate to our land in iowa to do some shining and some howling to locate some coyotes for the next mornings hunt. i saw headlights coming towards me so i pulled off the the side and rolled down my window. it was a guy that bowhunts our land, and we just started talking and comparing notes and i told him some of the pictures of bucks i had. when i said i had a dandy pictured near a stand, he said, "well, you're probably going to think im full of it, and dan(another guy bowhunting there) does, but i'll tell you anyway" turns out he was sitting and he saw movement. he got his bow ready, and then he thought it was a coyote or fawn deer. it stepped into a shooting lane, and here the damn thing was a goat with a yellow tag in its ear. like 2 miles from the nearest farm to boot. he said it went through quickly and came back through soon after. if i see it during shotgun season, that boy is getting to take a ride in the pick up truck
Old 11-08-2005, 05:05 PM
Typical Buck

I ALSO HAD A SMALL GROUP OF DOMESTIC PIGS COME UNDER MY STAND ON PUBLIC LAND NOWHERE NEAR A FARM, DIDN'T KNOW IF IT WOULD BE LEGAL TO STICK ONE BUT I WOULD SURE LIKE TO MMMMMMGOOD
Old 11-08-2005, 05:13 PM

Same thing happened to me while turkey hunting. A scary feeling watching that hawk fly at ground level towards me then swoop back up just yards from my face as I was waving my hands and cussing at him..
Old 11-08-2005, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

I was bowhunting behind a college branch campus one night (about 100-150 yards from a parking lot), and had a romantic couple come down in the woods and set up camp on an oak flat,about 25 yards from my stand. They sat down in the leaves and started a make-out session.So I gave 'em a cough to alert them of my presence.

Needless to say, they were a little embarrassed, and bailed out of there quickly.

If the girl was hotter, I'd have kept my mouth shut, because things weregetting hot & heavy. She was pretty homely though - I bino'ed her first, to make sure. LOL

That was about 6 years ago.
That is the difference between bucks and broads. A chicks rack does not get better with age. Check them out good first.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:43 PM
Spike

I’ve had 2 encounters… The first was an owl that was sitting in a dead tree about 40 yards from my tree. I got into my stand before first light, and just as it was starting to get light I noticed him and he took off, swung around and right towards me.
When he started getting closer I saw his talons come out and realized he was coming in for the attack.
I raised up my bow just in time to have him veer off right above my head, close enough that I could feel the wind from his wings. I was wearing a head cover at the time and he must have seen me move my head and thought I was a squirrel or something.

The second encounter was pretty comical.
I heard a rustling coming from beneath my stand and looked down and saw a porcupine heading right for my tree. Sure enough out of all the trees in the woods he liked mine the best and started to climb up. Maybe he liked the smell of my cover scent or something.
As he headed up the tree, I started dropping little pieces of bark on his head trying to get his attention, but he never looked up. He climbed up to the level of my tree stand and just nudged his head with my toe and then he looked up and noticed me there, and just started at me. I finally whispered to him “Hey, this is my tree, go find your own!”
After a couple more nudges on his nose with my foot, he decided he’d climb down and it must have taken him 10 minutes to back down the tree in slow motion. It was pretty comical to see that fool thing back down a tree and amble off.
That made my day, and makes me really thankful that I hunt and can see little oddities of nature like that!

Quick Reply: odd happenings in the stand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.