Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 “My” deer….no shot, but great hunting experience >

“My” deer….no shot, but great hunting experience

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

“My” deer….no shot, but great hunting experience

Old 11-07-2005, 08:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Default “My” deer….no shot, but great hunting experience

I acquired access to the land that surrounds my 3 acres….and I just started hunting it, recently. The owner at first told me no….then recanted and lets my son and I bow hunt there, exclusively. We had only hunted there once….seeing nothing, but I have been scouting the area for several weeks. I’ve seen scrapes; droppings; tracks….and I think I’ve figured out which way they’re traveling.

I started deer hunting, this year. I also picked up a bow for the first time, this year. My background is in waterfowl and turkey hunting. I got into my stand at “my” new land around noon on Saturday. I figured I’d sit the afternoon/evening out, there. With about 20 minutes of shooting light left……I heard “the noise” behind me. I stood up….got the bow ready……but “the noise” wouldn’t present itself. Then….I heard another noise…..then another…..then another. In the span of a minute….I was directly above 4 deer. I could have taken a shot at any one of them….and chose not to. I was literally 6 yds from the animals (directly below me). I didn’t get busted (rubber boots/scent blocker clothing/cover spray on everything)…..and I just smiled. Everything worked perfectly. Though I passed on these 4 deer….I know I can put my son in that stand, now….and let him take one of them. I’ll hold out for another deer, another time.

It was just thrilling for “My” plan to come together on “My” acquired land….and for “My” deer to come to “My” set. I was in VERY high spirits….after not having had a deer come into bow range in my previous 5 times in the stand. I know some of you guys are seasoned veterans…..but at 41….I felt like a kid, again. I’m not saying I won’t take a doe, either…..I likely will….if it gets later in the year…and the wife wants venison in the freezer. I just didn’t feel like taking one of those deer. It was a truly special moment….that I think all of you guys must have experienced.

Just thought I’d share…

Jeff
Old 11-07-2005, 08:52 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: “My” deer….no shot, but great hunting experience

there's more to huntin' than killin'....that's just the bonus.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:59 AM

Default RE: “My” deer….no shot, but great hunting experience

I agree with fl.huntress. There is so much more to hunting than making the kill. So much is to be learned. and the way to learn it is by spending as much time in the woods and taking in as much information from experienced deer hunters.